Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a PXI-8360 work with a PCIe-8361?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Would a PXI-8360 work with a PCIe-8361 in a 1062Q chassis? A broader question would be, can I match PXI and PCIe hardware?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,340 Views)

You mean like in this bundle? NI PXI-PCIe8361

The answer is yes.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,326 Views)
Solution
Accepted by deep_space

The controller slot is different between PXI and PXIe, so you cannot use the PXI-8360 in a PXIe-1062Q chassis.  You can use the PXIe-8360 (or one of the several other PXIe remote control options).  The bundle with the PCIe-8361 card is called "PXIe-PCIe8361".

- Robert

Message 3 of 7
(4,322 Views)
Solution
Accepted by deep_space

@Robert__R wrote:

so you cannot use the PXI-8360 in a PXIe-1062Q chassis.

That's what I get for not looking up the chassis in question.  I just assumed the OP had a PXI chassis.  But the 1062Q is strictly PXIe.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(4,316 Views)

Robert_R: Thank you for the clarification.

crossrulz: I thought the 1062Q had hybrid slots, but from your reply I presume it all depends on the bus used by the control unit specified for that chassis (we don't have one, hence the cards), in which case the cards have to be PXIe/PCI-EXPRESS. Am I right or did I make a hash of it?

Thank you both.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,305 Views)

@deep_space wrote:

crossrulz: I thought the 1062Q had hybrid slots, but from your reply I presume it all depends on the bus used by the control unit specified for that chassis (we don't have one, hence the cards), in which case the cards have to be PXIe/PCI-EXPRESS. Am I right or did I make a hash of it?

Be careful when dealing with the hybrid slots.  The chassis controller has to be a PXIe.  That slot is not a hybrid.  You need to use the PXIe-PCIe combination in order to use this chassis.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,292 Views)

Here's a paper that talks about cards and slots.  The pictures help understand why different combinations work -- the connectors on the card need to be compatible with the connectors on the slot.  So you'll need to look at your cards to see whether they have the P2 connector or XJ4 to know whether they'll work in hybrid slots. Once you know what slots you need you can pick a chassis.  PXI Express chassis vary in the number of Express slots, hybrid slots, and legacy slots.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3882/en/

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,287 Views)