Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is GPIB USB HS an unknown USB DEVICE that will not load driver

Why is GPIB USB HS new hardware found an unknown USB DEVICE that will not load driver?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,692 Views)
Petey,

can you elaborate a bit more? What is 'HS'? When does the problem occure? Did you supply a configuration file (Installation CD)?

Greetings from Germany!<br>-- <br>Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,681 Views)
Hi Petey,
This often happens if you install the card in the computer before you install the drivers.  Before even plugging in the GPIB Device into the USB port, have the 488.2 drivers installed.  The 488.2 driver version 2.4, the  most recent driver, can be used with the GPIB USB High Speed devices.  If the drivers are already installed, you may be able to go into the device manager, find the "unknown device" and right click and select "Update Driver".  This sometimes will reassociate the driver files with the device and your device will work.  Your device should be located in a section called "National Instruments GPIB Interfaces" within the device manager.  If this doesn't work, remove the device from the machine, uninstall the NI-488.2 drivers, reinstall the drivers, reboot the computer, and then plug in the GPIB device.  Windows should go through the installation of the new hardware and automatically find and associate the drivers.  Good luck!  Let me know if you have any trouble!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,667 Views)
I had this same problem on my Windows 2000 computer. It seems that any device that I have plugged into a USB port is not properly initialized. My GPIB-USB-HS, an external hard drive, etc. All will fail to work properly unless I plug them in after the computer boots up. Try plugging in the device after Windows starts up (if you are running Windows).

I believe the issue is in the driver for the motherboard's USB chipset. It probably isn't doing things quite right, and that causes plugged in devices to be misconfigured.

--

Brian Rose
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,646 Views)