Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do the NI VISA drivers (v20) crash on macOS and fail to load as a dylib?

UPDATE: I read the release notes on V20 and apparently MacOS 11.x is not supported yet.

I recently installed the NI VISA drivers (v20) on a MacBook Pro (2019) with Big Sur.

The NiMAX application crashes, and the VISA framework fails to load with various permission errors (usually related to RAID or highpointRR).

I can't pinpoint the exact date, but last year on Catalina with V19 drivers everything worked fine.

The NiMAX program pops the main window, then quits unexpectedly with a Problem Report window.

Compiling a simple C program to link to the 'visa.framework/visa' dylib results in:

"Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR' in unprivileged request." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR' in unprivileged request.}
Abort trap: 6"

Advice?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,603 Views)

I have the same issue with NI-Max (NI VISA v21) on my Mac OS 11.5.3.  I see in the readme that it only supports up to Mac OS 10.15.x.  Do we know when NI will update to support Big Sur? Terminal message output attached.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,269 Views)