From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which type of instrument do I need?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am new to labview and just want to start my experiments but I do not know which NI instruments I'll need. What I want to do is just controlling several devices as follows:

1- Running a solenoid (just on and off position after prespecidfied time).

2- Runnign a hot wire (turning on and off)

3- Starting a camera

Does anyone know what board or any other sort of equipment do I need to order from NI?

Thanks

Mosi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,279 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MosiIowa

Well, it depend...

Cheap: Use the serial port or a USB to serial adapter and (ab)use the output lines as digital control lines (will need some soldering and some resistors and optocouplers)

(two handshake for heater, solenoid and TX for the cam)

Or : Pure digital IN/OUT with a USB 6501

Or: a USB 6008 with additional analog ...

In any case you will need some additional driver circuits to provide the diving current/voltage (with protection) to the heater and solenoid.

Student?  Have a look at the MyDAQ , just because if you start experiments you might want more later 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,250 Views)

Thanks Henrik,

You helped a lot because for the first time when I checked NI website I though a signal generator was what I needed and the cheapest one was more than $1000. But a Digital I/O like USB 6501 is affordable.

Yes, I am a student; thank s for introducing MyDAQ.

Thanks again

Mosi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,235 Views)