From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIZ750SR Ethernet-to-Serial module not recognized in NI MAX

Hello,

On my test benches I have several Serial instruments. I would like to use Ethernet-to-Serial converter modules to control them through Ethernet.

I just found some modules which are Ethernet/Serial protocol translators.

The one I'm testing is the WIZ750SR (see more here : http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php/products:wiz750sr:start)

While the module is well recognized on the network, I can't create it under NI MAX. First, it is not auto-detected, and even if I manually set the IP address, it doesn't work

I get the error "(Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."

I tried to make a loopback test by shorting RX to TX on the Serial side of the module, but it still not working...

Have you some suggestions?

Your help is very appreciated!

JB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,203 Views)

Though NI MAX can automatically find and add devices, custom devices will not be recognized.

From NI MAX's perspective, the Ethernet to Serial device available on the network is similar to any other device on the network with an IP address unless it has a special way to tell across the network about itself.

My suggestion is to try the WIZ VSP(Virtual Serial Port) driver provided and assuming that there is a way to configure the IP address of the device for this VCOM port and it should pop up as a COM port on NI MAX.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,122 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, it is still unavailable on NI MAX, even if it is recognized by the WIZnet software.

Please find a screenshot of this software. I don't know exactely what to do with it to make the device pop up in NI MAX...

Any (new) ideas ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,089 Views)

Don't care what their software says.

You are not using their software.

Use their virtual COM port driver as suggested.

What does Device Manager show?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,080 Views)