From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Resource Unavailable, Device in use my another program

Solved!
Go to solution
Hey guys,
I bought a Usb to Parallel Port adapter and created a Ni Visa driver for it then launch labview and I ran some programs on the adapter and everything was working fine, I was able to send data to the usb and able to switch a led on and off..then I later restarted my laptop and when I launch labview again to communicate with the usb it keeps giving me timeout error..I change the usb port still d same error.. I open MAX to check about the device..it was like the device is in use my another program that is not allowing my labview program to communicate with it I try to off my antivirus it was it giving the timeout error the device is in use my another application and when I try to safely remove the device with windows I keep getting this windows error d device is still in use my another application.. I later unplug the usb and plug it to another labview pc only for the same problem to occur again....anybody known how I can recommunicate with my usb device and stop dis timeout error..Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,869 Views)

A USB to Parallel Port adapter does not require you to create any sort of driver. What did you actually do? I hope you didn't create one with the VISA Driver Wizard. The windows driver that came with the device is the one that you should be using. If you used the wizard, why?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,859 Views)
I created the driver with VISA Driver Wizard because MAX can't recognize the USB device..
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,848 Views)

If you installed the windows driver for it and windows sees it as a printer port, then so should MAX and list it as lptn. It sounds like that after rebooting, etc., it is the normal windows driver that is being used. What does device manager say?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,843 Views)
The Device Manager sees it as a USB printing support and not as a parallel port...MAX sees it as a USB device and not lptn...is there way that the usb to parallel port cable can be busy thus refusing visa connection..
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,834 Views)
I keeping getting this error BFFF003A when am using the visa write functions to write to the usb to parallel port device same error is shown in the VISA Test Panel..
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,831 Views)
I keep getting
error Hex 0xBFFF0015 Timeout error I have tried
to increase the timeout duration but still getting
the timeout error.. This is the Visa attributes
associated with the device in the visa test panel
my labview version is 2009 and NI VISA is 4.5.1
VI_ATTR_TMO_Value=2000
VI_ATTR_MAX_Queue_Length=50
VI_ATTR_TERMCHAR=0x0A
VI_ATTR_TERMCHAR_EN=VI_False
VI_ATTR_IO_PROT=1
VI_ATTR_SUPPRESS_END_EN=VI_False
VI_ATTR_USB_MAX_INTR_SIZE=1
VI_ATTR_USB_CtRL_PIPE=0x0000
VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_OUT_PIPE=0x0001
VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_IN_PIPE=0xFFFF
VI_ATTR_USB_INTR_IN_PIPE=0xFFFF
VI_ATTR_USB_ALT_SETTING=0
VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_OUT_STATUS=0
VI_ATTR_USB_BULK_IN_STATUS=-1
VI_ATTR_USB_INTR_IN_STATUS=-1
VI_ATTR_USB_END_IN=5
I try to use the set I/O buffer function to increase
the max size but dusplaying invaild buffer size
coz it is a usb device and not serial device
And sometimes MAX displays "This device is Busy,
and VISA cannot communicate with it"
Can d Usb to Printer cable be busy on its own, is
there any configurations to set on d cable like
grounding some of its 25 ports..
Anyone have ideal on how to fix all this issue to
enable easy communication, I just need to the
cable to be able to switch on and off some set of
LEDs... Will appreciate any help
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,808 Views)

Let this be a lesson. You get what you pay for.

If this is meant for a project at work, you should choose a product that is better supported by NI.

If this is a hobby project, well, I suppose it may be time to try a different product.

These USB-LPT are often problematic even when used for their intended purpose.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,803 Views)

@da_jokeer wrote:
I created the driver with VISA Driver Wizard because MAX can't recognize the USB device..

You should not be doing this.  Just use it with the OS drivers as a stndard Parallel port.  No VISA Drivers neccessary.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,794 Views)

Intaris wrote

You should not be doing this.  Just use it with the OS drivers as a stndard Parallel port.  No VISA Drivers neccessary.

Shane.

Device manager recongnise it as a usb printing support under universal serial bus controllers and not as a parallel port.

Just trying to learn basic communication to a parallel port.

These is the error file and the vi.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,775 Views)