Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa 1073807360 error

Your Arduino is the RS-232 connection. That is what 'Com3' is. And it is a windows driver that makes it appear as a com port. So, my advice still stands about seeing if there is an updated driver. You might also try setting only the RS-232 properties you need (i.e. skipping handshaking setup).

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(3,315 Views)

Hello,

I am still receiving error 1073807360.  I have unplugged all USB devices figuring that it may be a powering issue.  After I did that the error disappeared for sometime but now it is back to haunt me.  According to this thread a putting a wait before writing would solve this issue.  Do you think a wait is necessary?  I updated my visa drive to VISA 3.4.1.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Measurement-Studio-for-NET/How-to-troubleshoot-VISA-error-code-1073807360/td...

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(3,300 Views)

Hi,

I was watching your VI and reading your problem. Try sending a command or letter from your arduino to a Terminal in your computer and from Terminal to your arduino, without using LabView, just to make sure that your Hardware is working properly and it is problem of your VI. You need to close the Port at the end , after your while loop,  otherwise it will keep open and you can not use it later. I dont know why do you have a long wait time in your while loop, is it really necessary? because that can produce a timeout in your VI. A wait is often used  between sending  a command and receive another one, just to give enough time to the arduino to proceess the command, but that time is between 10 and 20 ms. not seconds. Also you can try reinstal the controller with the last version  5.0.3 , here is the link http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2251/lang/es.

According to Microsoft, the number of data bits must be 5 to 8 bits. The use of 5 data bits with 2 stop bits is an invalid combination, as is using 6, 7, or 8 data bits with 1.5 stop bits. Thus, when using 5 data bits, you can use 1 or 1.5 stop bits. Any of the other data bits options (6, 7, or 😎 can use only 1 or 2 stop bits.

Regards

Jaime Peña
National Instruments
Ingeniería de Aplicaciones
www.ni.com/soporte

Jaime Peña
National Instruments Mexico
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(3,293 Views)

The wait is used to delay the program by an hour.  I read measurements from devices every hour.  I can communicate sucessfully with the arduino by using hyperterminal.  I am trying to figure out how to close the port with out chaning my VI too much.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Should I place the Visa Close subVI outside of the while loop or inside to close the port.  I would suspect outside since the port is opened outside.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(3,288 Views)

I need the VI to run everything in the for loop first before closing the port.  This program is used for a long term study and must be kept running until I receive a device failure.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(3,287 Views)

Close the port at the end of your application, when the stop button is true and your while loop is finished and wire the error to the close port function. That will not fix the problem, but when you fix it you will need to do this.

Did you reinstall VISA with the latest version? Try to run the Labview example of Visa : Basic Serial Write and Read.vi with same parameters to see is the same error appears.

Regards

Jaime Peña

National Instruments

www.ni.com/soporte

Jaime Peña
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(3,283 Views)

I added the VISA close like you said.  It does not solve my problem like you said.  I am going to try to use a self powered USB HUB to see if it makes a difference.  I read in a forum that it might solve the problem.  I can not remember which forum it is in though.  I have disabled all of the other ports that are not in use.  Any other suggestions on this problem will be helpful.  is there a way to configure the serial port so that windows does not hang up on it?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(3,264 Views)

Hi

I said that it will probably not fix your problem, but is the correct way to use VISA. If the current if more than your USB HUB supports then you need to power your HUB externally. The other way to configure your serial port is creating your own driver for serial ports, or using Linux. I dont think Windows is the problem, try with the self powered. What happened with the VISA example that I suggested?

Regards

Jaime Peña
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(3,262 Views)

Hello,

I tested it with the VISA read and write example but the error does not appear.  I tried over and over and over again to see if it will but nothing.  there must be some reason why i get this error.  I believe i have constructed my program correctly.  the error occurs every 2 or 3 days.  I read in the same forum that mentioned using a self powered USB hub that windows tends to hang up on the serial port due to noise on the power line or an inadequate amount of power supplied to the port.  Do you know of any windows XP updates for the usb ports?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,254 Views)

Ok, So you can run the VI, the error doesnt appear always. In that case,it could be a hardware problem. You made a test with hyperteminal and it worked, with Labview worked too when you discconected all USB devices , but it failed after few days. What about the driver version of your arduino USB cable?  or some problem with your arduino, source code, cable,  or pin malfunction. Stop all processes and have just this VI running.

See this forum, same problem and they removed a virus and that fixed the problem

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Serial-communication-error-1073807360-What-caused-it/m-p/785591

Regards

Jaime Peña
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(3,247 Views)