From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA troubleshooting with puTTY

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to talk to a device through USB but it acts as a COM port/ serial connection through a driver.

I am writing commands to the device, and the the bytes in port vi shows that bytes are being written to the device, yet the device does not respond at all.

I can easily operate the device through putty though.  I know the device works as I have confirmed it through an oscilloscope.  What else should I troubleshoot?  Or, are there other easier ways to write/read to a serial port other than VISA

I've attached a standard writing VI I have also tried with no luck.  Should I try to continue to use VISA, or can I emulate puTTY on labVIEW?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,175 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wvanbus
What termination characters are you using with putty? CR, LF, both? You have to send the same with VISA.

I'm not sure why you would attach an example that comes with LabVIEW. If you would read any of the hundreds of posts on this subject, you would know the example's string control is set for '\' Codes Display. Use \r and \n as needed.
Message 2 of 4
(5,166 Views)

I had used \n instead of \r

I switched my termination character and it works fine.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,136 Views)

We have developed a package on the LabVIEW Tools Network to automate serial port interactions. You can use it to replicate what you manually do using Putty in LabVIEW for serial devices such as logining in, entering commands, waiting for a response and returning it. You can find out more about it and download a 30-day free trial at: https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/autoserial-toolkit.html

Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,833 Views)