Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA serial read / write to microcontroller issues.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit and LabVIEW 32.  I am using VISA serial  to send parameters to a microcontroller (AdaFruit Itsy Bitsy M4 Express). I have worked with  serial instruments but this is the first time I have tried to write  instrument control and I am stuck. 

I do not understand why characters I write to the port come back in the read and the device response remains in the port.  I do not understand how to send ASCII "CONTROL-D" to soft reset the hardware. I tried 0x04 with no success. The communication is ASCII based and is flawless in a terminal emulator ( PuTTY).  I want my LabVIEW re-entrant VI to work that well. A screenshot of a PuTTY session is attached.

I have read and implemented several useful posts in the forum to get as far as I am.  The zip file includes details for packet and requests during sessions with my VI and PuTTY.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(850 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kierzie123

1. A Ctrl+D (End Of Transmission) is a character value of 4 (0x4).

2. Initialize your port with the VISA Configure Serial Port.  It will then default you to having the termination character turned on, which I think you want here.

3. You should not have loops inside of loops like this.  Just a single loop should handle all of this.

4. I recommend you go watch this: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial.  There is a link there to code that I use on a regular basis that I think will really help you out here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(832 Views)

Wow! I watched the video. The techniques for ASCII will help me make the robust GUI I know is possible.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(810 Views)