Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA runtime download link

What I'm looking for is the same thing for LabVIEW 2019. If I can go back to letting LabVIEW create this bundled installer, great! I'll do just that. But I haven't seen anything that indicates this ever was reproduced or worked on by NI, so I'm currently assuming it will still fail with 2019.

It would be interesting to see your results when you try it with 2019. If you have a reproducing case, can you post your steps and code so we can try it and see the error? Else, I recommend opening a Service Request with our Technical Support Engineers, so we can address the issue.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 14
(1,520 Views)

@oscarfonseca wrote:
It would be interesting to see your results when you try it with 2019. If you have a reproducing case, can you post your steps and code so we can try it and see the error? Else, I recommend opening a Service Request with our Technical Support Engineers, so we can address the issue.

Thanks,

When I can block off some time I'll try it. To be honest I'd forgotten about it until I started researching 2019.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,517 Views)

I might be a little late to this party, but i was also checking my options to build an installer including VISA runtime in LV2019, and i think the NI package manager has it's advantages, but depending on how you distribute your application. 

First of all i use Inno Setup to build my installers, i think i have more freedom and options with this tool, though the initial setup might be a bit difficult. With Inno setup you can build your app installer where you include the offline LV installers. For example, i downloaded the full offline installer for LabVIEW runtime engine 2019 (which also installs the NI package manager), and when i build the inno installer of my app i also include the runtime engine install. 

Now, you can download the offline VISA installer and see that it has plenty of packages, but you could identify the needed packages of your application (VISA runtime for example) and include only these packages in your installer. Then you can create a batch file to make a silent install of these packages following these instructions: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000001Dc9aSAC&l=es-PE https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kHyeSAE&l=es-PE

and include the batch file in your inno installer. 

This has the advantage to include only the packages you actually need (lighter installer) and also, as described above, not having the user to deselect everything that it doesn't need.. No user interactions for this part. I hope this makes sense! 😄

Message 13 of 14
(1,415 Views)

@Maybemar wrote:

... the NI package manager has it's advantages...

After you posted this, I looked into the NIPM and found that it does what I want! I built a package using just what we need (LVRTE2019 and latest NI-VISA RT), and successfully deploy it on our machines. On top of that it will allow our LV2017 executables to run as well! It's a bit different from what I was used to but seems sensible in the context of system administration. The ability to walk dependencies is extremely helpful in narrowing down the package.

EDIT: Oh, and BONUS: my new package installer is just over half the size of the previous official LVRTE2017 and VISA runtime installers put together. So that's nice!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,331 Views)