From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read loses connection

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to Labview, kindly help me solve this error. I am writing a code for 3 axis system. The VISA resource read file in the code loses its (serial) connection and re establishes after sometime. I am using an RS232 cable. I couldn't understand what is the problem. Please help 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,467 Views)

You might be confusing the device since you are writing and reading in multiple loops.  At the very least, make a VI that will write and optionally read from your device and use that VI for all of your communications.  The VI will act as a Semaphore (lock) to ensure that the write-read process cannot be interrupted.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,424 Views)

Yeah I will write a vi with write and read and try using it in my program. I hope it works. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,381 Views)

I do not know how to make an optional read. Can you kindly help ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,370 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KarthikMurali

@KarthikMurali wrote:

I do not know how to make an optional read. Can you kindly help ?

Boolean input and a Case Structure.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 6
(2,354 Views)

I am still experiencing a problem even after I optionally read it. I checked the VISA interactive control and it said that the "resource is valid and the visa cannot access it" . How can I rectify this ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,315 Views)