Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA read error 0xBFFF0015 even w/ correctly configured serial ports

I have a 3504 Eurotherm temperature controller wired by serial to my computer.  The port settings in Device Manager match the port settings in Measurement in Automation Explorer which match the settings in my VI, yet I'm still getting the following error through NI Trace or VISA test panel when I try to run my program:

VISA: (Hex0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I was able to connect to and configure the instrument through Eurotherm's iTools with the same serial port and same cable on the same computer.  I would like to use Labview to run the process though.

What else could be wrong other than port settings?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,987 Views)
Are you sending a termination character after the command? Attach your code.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,982 Views)

Dennis,

Thanks for your reply.  The main vi is BB new version 8.vi  and the relevant sub-VIs are Eurotherm ini and Eurotherm read temperature.  Please let me know if you have any ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,962 Views)

I don't see where the ini function is called at all and the ini function itself uses an obsolete VISA Open. Where in the main is the VISA Resource Name? You are sending a strange command in the read VI. Are you sure the format is correct?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,960 Views)

Dennis,

I should have attached g setup2.vi which calls the eurotherm ini.vi - it's attached now.

This is the exact VI that we used to run the system with the previous heat controllers, but now it won't run with the new ones.  So I at least know that the format was correct for the old controller (eurotherm 818).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,955 Views)

I would try getting rid of the 'old' VISA Open. In fact, you don't need the VISA Open at all. Other than that, if the cable is correct and the settings, then it seems the command for the new controllers would be different.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,949 Views)

What command would you recommend?  This is one of those situations where I didn't actually write any of the code.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,942 Views)
Get the manual for the new controller and find something simple. Test the command with a program such as hyperterminal, putty, or MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,929 Views)