Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA fails to connect even though I can talk in MAX

Hello,

I'm having issues with communicating to my DC power supply over Ethernet connection.  I can see it in MAX, and talk to it using the test panel, and have configured an alias.

However, when I set up a very basic VISA communication VI, I get an error in VISA Read that there is insufficient location information or device not present

Hopefully someone here can assist

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,553 Views)

I realised that the first error I referenced was because I still had the VISA Test Panel open for the device.  I now get 0xBFFF0015 Timeout expired before operation completed, just on the VISA Read command

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,544 Views)

may set the 0x0a for the terminator for solving this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,533 Views)

Hi djroseman, 

The Timeout Error can be because of different reasons, like not having the correct drivers or not sending the commands in the correct syntax. Please check this KB, it discusses the different reasons for this issue: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019L3mSAE&l=en-GB

Kind Regards, 

Nour Elghazawy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,518 Views)

I've solved this now, a combination of adding a line feed constant to my input string and getting the correct number of bytes to send for each message

Thanks for your help

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,511 Views)

hi djroseman

Can you please send the corrected vi. What byte count did you specified than ? 

Thank you  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,481 Views)

hello shubham47,

I've attached my working VI - the byte count needs to match the length of the string which would be recieved - this put in as constant since I already know what the response from the instrument will be

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,472 Views)

Thank you Djroseman

Can you tell me from where i can get the VISA command set for Agilent N5230C Vector Network Analyzer. I need to get the measured data on VNA to PC in any format (excel,.S2P,array etc).

Will wait for reply.

Shubham 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,468 Views)

I wouldn't know as I am not using that piece of kit.  I would say that a good starting point would be the technical documentation for the instrument.  On the data collection, there are a number of report generation functions in labview which will give you TDMS or Excel, or you could get diadem

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,464 Views)

Thanks Dave

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,462 Views)