Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA error 0xBFFF0072 while communicating with Thornton 770MAX

Hello,

I am running LabView to interface with two devices at the same time- a IOTech PersonalDaq/56 (over USB) and a Thornton 770Max via RS232. The program I created works fine for the Daq, but I am having issues with the RS232 communication.

When I go into the Instrument I/O Assistant and validate my setting everything seems to work well and the data is properly placed into tokens. As soon as I run my full program the first time no data is displayed on the front panel (I wired the I/O Assistant directly to a string output, all inside of a "While Loop" for data acquisition being active). After I stop the program all NI applications stop interfacing with the Thornton and when I go to validate the settings in the I/O Assistant again I get error oxBFFF0072.

There are no other running programs that would be interfacing with the Thornton. I have also tried doing a full VISA setup as the session in, and then closing it from the session out of the I/O Assistant, and keep getting the same error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,385 Views)

Hi, 

Based on your error, it sounds like the serial device is in use. Make sure to restart your computer and open NI MAX, and try to run a test panel. You can follow this guide to make sure that your serial device is set up properly: http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/setuphardware/instrumentcontrol/serialconnect.htm

Trevor B.
PSE
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,354 Views)