Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA USB communication issue - Resource valid, but VISA can't access - Tektronix PWS4000 Series

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm attempting to control a Tektronix PWS4205 programmable DC power supply using the LabVIEW samples that came with the driver.  Eventually I want to program the cycle On/Off time of the voltage output to a motor while logging current over time.

My current issue:

The VISA resource name for the instrument is displayed in the control.  When I attempt to run any of the example VIs or just the Initialize.vi I am unable to communicate with the instrument.  

Error displayed:

The ID Query failed.  This may mean that you selected the wrong instrument or your instrument did not respond.  You may also be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver.  If you are sure that you selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the ID Query.

I am able to use SignalExpress to output voltage and measure current on the power supply, but not when using example VIs.  I'm not sure why I can communicate using the same VISA resource name in SignalExpress, but not through the VI.

Other info:

LabVIEW 2009 SP1 

Windows 7

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author batkins

Have you tried to turn off the ID query in the Initialize function in your instrument driver?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0C03C3CCEC9A45B8862569DF006CCD27

Also try using the NI driver : http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=18346

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,589 Views)

This system is using the command set that was out prior to SCPI becoming the standard.  As such, it will NOT respond to the SCPI standard of

*IDN?\n

but instead will respond to:

ID?\n
Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 3 of 3
(2,583 Views)