From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Connection with Non-NI Hardware

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi all, I am having some connection issues with a piece of hardware which I have. I will try to be as specific as I can but due to the nature of what it is, i'll have to keep the hardware vague. I can talk to it over UDP fine and am receiving messages. I have used NI-MAX to connect to it via Port 22 which gives me the hardware's SSH data. Not what I need however. I have used the VISA connection panel, and It can "See" the instrument with the port that I know is the communications port (51000). However when i try to connect, it gives me an error saying it can't connect. When I use the Listener VI, I can see that it opens a communications link via Tera Term (Shell programme). Which is what I want but then when I try to open a connection via a "open TCP connection" VI. it comes back with an error. (*Will insert Error number). So it seems to be able to listen for connection and then opens it but then can't do anything once it's open. I've tried using the LabVIEW examples for TCP connections to get it working but i can't seem to get past the the first hurdle. It refuses to open a link and so i can't even send any data. I've got wireshark up and running and it's showing that I am not sending or receiving anything over the link, even when the listener does open a link. Again, I know it's vague and there's no VI associated but i'm hoping it may just be my mistake rather than there being an issue with the hardware which doesn't like labVIEW.. Cheers
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,235 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RobJ95

I'll reply to myself as the fault wasn't with the TCP connection... Mostly.

The hardware wanted to read ascii characters so I had to take my string of hex characters, and translate it into ASCII characters and send that through.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,217 Views)

specify the model and vendor of the non-ni hardware could be better.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,193 Views)

This is an excellent tutorial to VISA based instrument control - https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/VIWeek_2020/Proper_way_to_communicate_over_serial

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,189 Views)

That is an excellent video and will come in handy to make the comms more robust in what i am making

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,173 Views)