From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA 0xBFFF003E Error @ RS232 on new PC

Solved!
Go to solution

There are a lot of topics on similar problems, but I don't find this one.

The System uses a Mahr Multitast indicator which sends data over a RS232 port to a Computer.

I changed the PC from an Fujitsu Siemens with an pentium 4 @ LV2011 to a Lenovo with a i5 @ LV2017, both with a integrated RS232 Port.
The new PC runs into the VISA 0xBFFF003E Error everytime it tries to read the RS232 port.
When I switched back to the old PC, it runs the first try to read in this error but works after that correctly.

The Settings on both are the same:
baudrate 4800, databits 8, parity none, stoppbits 1.0, flow control none, termination char \n.

I tried to read data at the new System through the VISA-testpanel with the same results.

I attached the I/O-Trace-files of both systems.

Any ideas on this would be greatfully received.

Regards,
Lucas

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,188 Views)

update:

I could not solve the problem.

But I had a similar Project, where I switched also from an old Fujitsu Siemens to a Lenovo and also use the RS232 for communication.
Here the PC communicates with an Spektrometer and everything works fine.
The Settings are in this case:
baudrate 1200, databits 8, parity none, stppbits 1.0, flowcontrol DTR/DSR.

Than I took this PC to read the Mahr Multitast and got the same Error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,112 Views)

Hi

Could it be that the speed in which the new computer sends the characters is faster than the old one?

It should not be in VISA but if the old system had a small delay between 2 characters maybe the other side just could handle it.

Some very old hardware I communicated with only worked correctly when sending he characters from a string in a for loop ione by one.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,102 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LucasWolf

I solved the issue:

h.tang mentioned in this topic:

"Basically I placed a VISA set I/O buffer block (search VISA in the functions box) after the VISA serial configuring block and set the mask to 48. Make sure your expected input and output do not exceed the number you set for buffer size and that solved my problem"

I have no idea why the new PC receives more Bits, but it works.

I'm sry that I created this topic but I didn't found the mentioned topic in first place.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,083 Views)