From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI_ERROR_TMO Agilent E363xA Power Supply

Hi Everyone
Current setup:
LABView 2013
Agilent 82357B USB to GPIB 
Agilent IO suite 16.3 - Agilent VISA set to primary
Agilent E3633A

I have an issue that hopefully someone can help me with.
Sometimes when I run the Agilent E363X Series\Public\Initialize.vi driver from Labview, the vi functions fine, but when I monitor the IO using the Agilent IO Monitor, I see that there are a lot of VI_ERROR_TMOs and in fact after the VI completes execution, these continue to stream after. 
Is this because the VISA session is opened and it continually tries to communicate? 
Is this normal? The interesting thing is that when I use the Agilent Interactive IO and send the commands one by one, there is no issue.

Now here is a stranger thing. When I use the VI as a standalone VI, it does work( although still with the errors above) but when I place this VI into a larger program, sometimes this VI hangs at the WRITE/READ within the Initialize.VI

Can anyone help or provide some insight????

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,953 Views)

Set NI VISA as primary. 

Use MAX  Tools>>NI VISA>>VISA Options "conflict manager" to set the prefered VISA

Use MAX  Tools>>NI VISA>>VISA Options.General.Passports to enable tulip support.

Capture.PNG

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,952 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried this as well as all other combinations I could think of ( NI-VISA w & wo Tullip, Agilent VISA wi & wo Tullip) Still not working. Do you need to re-boot after these chagnes or just close out of labview and start it again?

I have found in the past that installing labview software first followed by the agilent IO suite was the best way as this  ensures that I set the agilent as the primary VISA during the install of the agilent software

This way has worked the best as I can see all of the equipment and debug using the agilent io libray suite. I did try using the NI-VISA and following the install directions provided from agilent for users of labview, but never worked. I could never see the isntruments in NI-MAX and lost the functionality that I had in the Agilent IO suite.

Should I try to re-intall the labview and / or the agilent libraries?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,946 Views)

It seems that when labview opens the visa resource, unless there is a close, it continually sends a VISA:viWaitOnEvent method call. This is were the VI_ERROR_TMO is comign from. 

Is this normal? I don't see this using the agilent, but perhpas the agielnt IO is opening and closing the seesion for each command that is sent, but it sure does appear that either labview or the way I have it configured is leading to this endless VI_ERROR_TMO Values

Also if I am monitoring the IO commands with Agilent, and I click the VISA Resource name control I the IO records a VISA:viGetAttribute, but fails with a VI_ERROR_NSUP_ATTR

Does anyone have any idea on how I solve this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,914 Views)

I watchd the IO long enough and the initilzie VI does infact stop registering IO methods but after say 30-40 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,912 Views)

I am also seeing a second iossue where the initialize vi hangs onthe *IDN? write. This is getting crazy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,911 Views)

Hi gbusletta, 

I'm a little confused about the issue you are seeing. Despite seeing the VI_ERROR_TMO, your VIs still appear to run?

It seems as though the issues may be timing related. Do you have a delay between the read and write calls?

Catherine B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,898 Views)