Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview VISA to send command to R&S DSA chokes on the VISA Read

Hi Community Friends

I have a Rhode and Schwarz DSA (fairly new instrument for measuring BER and MER and Spectrum analyzer functions). I wrote a very simple VI in Labview 2010 to just write commands to it. It has an Ethernet port. I tried using Visa and also TCPIP canned Labview VIs, enclosed. It doesn't work. It times out on the Read command even with the *IDN? query, giving the error 56 of timeout for TCPIP and an error -1073807339 which is also a timeout for VISA. I looked at the forums and there are some solutions there but they don't appear to apply here. I am at a total loss. R&S is no help, they have not even released drivers for this instrument yet.

I am talking to the sockets they recommend, 5900 or 5025, and neither of them work. Nor does the IP address alone work either. The byte count is always 0 and the error message the same. If I use NI Max, it doesn't work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Locktofer

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(848 Views)

Hi Community Friends

I have a Rhode and Schwarz DSA (fairly new instrument for measuring BER and MER and Spectrum analyzer functions). I wrote a very simple VI in Labview 2010 to just write commands to it. It has an Ethernet port. I tried using Visa and also TCPIP canned Labview VIs, enclosed. It doesn't work. It times out on the Read command even with the *IDN? query, giving the error 56 of timeout for TCPIP and an error -1073807339 which is also a timeout for VISA. I looked at the forums and there are some solutions there but they don't appear to apply here. I am at a total loss. R&S is no help, they have not even released drivers for this instrument yet.

I am talking to the sockets they recommend, 5900 or 5025, and neither of them work. Nor does the IP address alone work either. The byte count is always 0 and the error message the same. If I use NI Max, it doesn't work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Locktofer

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(848 Views)

1. Make sure you are writing to the correct IP address.  You will want to go through the settings in the DSA to make sure.  It is possible it is set to use DHCP to set the IP Address instead of using a static address.

2. Make sure you are using a network port that can talk to that IP address.  This would likely making your port have a static address that nearly matches the DSA's address (typically just a different last number).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(827 Views)