Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabView to control SR560 pre-amplifier

Hello,

With LabView running on PC, I would like to remotely control SR560. Stanford Research SR560 Manual states instrument has listen only capability. "The SR560 is equipped with a standard DB-25 RS-232C connector on the rear panel for remote control of all instrument functions." It appears there are SR570 drivers available here and at the moment I am assuming these would work or be a good starting point.  So I'm looking for advice on how to add communication to the SR560 whether it be using an RS232 to USB cable (please recommend vendor & model number) or if possible using an option for connecting the SR560's RS232 to an existing GPIB solution that utilizes the NI USB to GPIB hardware.

Thanks.

JohnPTVM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,240 Views)

SR570 is a Current Pre-amp

SR560 is a Voltage Pre-amp

So don't expect the driver to work.  That being said, the commands for both have some overlap so the SR570 driver could serve as a good starting point to build your own.  The commands that are common to both you'll have to verify the inputs and make sure they match the limits of the SR560.  It might just be easier to lookup the right set of SR560 commands you want to use and send those using a VISA write.  You're probably only looking at 5-7 commands, so debugging the SR570 driver might be more work than needed.  Post some code if you get stuck and you'll get more help.

You will need an USB-RS-232 straight thru converter, but I've only used the DB9 variety, so can't help you there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,210 Views)

Thanks cstorey. I appreciate very much your tips.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,175 Views)

These devices can become listeners, but are not full-time wired as such.  The attached manual discusses the commands in Appendix A.  Remember that the Serial connection is 9600 baud with 8-N-2 settings.  Plus each command must be followed by <CR> & <LF>.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,169 Views)

SR560 is listen only instrument. I've modified sSimpleSerial.vi and attached screen shot. Using NI-Max I can successfully send commands to the instrument - the ACTivity led flashes and the instrument specific commands properly set the given instrument function's value. I've not had success with this simpleSerial.vi. The ACTivity led will flash, but instrument's settings are not updated. (The SR570 driver was attempted as well - without success yet either.)  Appreciate insights as to what may be the issue(s).  Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,315 Views)

NI Trace shows when using NI-Max this description for a reset:    viWrite (ASRL4::INSTR (0x0655BDF0), "*RST.", 5,5)   when *RST\n is sent.

NI Trace shows when using VI this description for a reset:  VISA Write ("ASRL4::INSTR", "*RST\n", 6)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,310 Views)

Instead of a period "." the instrument command interpreter should accept a semicolon ";" or a newline character "\n" when stringing together commands.  The period is not a typical command.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,303 Views)

Have something working.....basic set of functions.  It's not necessarily pretty, but is functioning.  PNG attached of Block Diagram. format to string with the ; delimiter and End of Line Constant appear to be the important items.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,300 Views)