From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPIB-USB-HS+ for Logging Traffic on an Existing GPIB Network

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am investigating an existing test setup that is not well documented. Can I use the GPIB-USB-HS+ to plug into the existing GPIB network to monitor command and data traffic using the GPIB Analyzer? I am not that familiar with the GPIB Analyzer and wanted some expert input.

I read the white paper (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PACmSAO) that states the GPIB-USB-HS+ can be de-selected as a System Controller in the Measurement and Automation Explorer, but I wanted to verify that I am not misreading the documentation as to it's usage. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,716 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Could you describe more specifically the GPIB network you are connecting to so we can have better context?

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,682 Views)

Daniel - Here is what I know about the network. It is operational, at least 10 years old, and contains at the least a Keysight PNA RF performance network analyzer and may have one or two other devices on the GPIB network. It is in a legacy test setup that the customer wants to replace, but the original developer is not available and the controller is driven from an executable. I am interested in viewing the traffic to and from the PNA analyzer in order to reproduce the  function.

In addition to the message boards, I have sent an email to the NI engineers to get their help. The primary purpose here is to see if anyone has used the GPIB-USB-HS+ to perform this type of traffic logging. The only other option I have identified is a 30 year old Analyzer488 hardware from IOTech. However, the manual for that device implies it has to be the System Controller on the bus.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,665 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff_Lucas

Jeff,

So from my understanding, you want to use the GPIB-USB-HS+ to monitor traffic on an existing GPIB network that already has a controller for that network. Is that correct? If so, I do believe this is possible. The GPIB-USB-HS+ should be able to use the GPIB analyzer software even if it is not the SC. You have to disable the GPIB setting that sets the HS+ as the SC though. I have included two articles from our knowledgebase that should be relevant, albeit pretty outdated.

"Can I use the GPIB Analyzer if I Am Not Using the Controller in My Application?": http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/526C669ED063A6BA862562C800611E3D

"Disabling a GPIB Interface as System Controller": http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8A66FD984B07024D49256B5700749536?OpenDocument

I hope that helps!

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,659 Views)