From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPIB-ENET as an instrument?

We are developing an instrument based on a proprietary cards and a single-board-computer (SBC) in a CompactPCI chassis. We're currently using an NI GPIB-PXI card in that chassis to make it into a GPIB device, but I want to know if we can use the SBC's built-in 10/100 port and NI's GPIB-ENET to do the same thing.

Note that I don't want to control other instruments from the SBC; I want the SBC (and therefore the entire box) to behave like an instrument, to be controlled from another computer.

Thanks!

p.s. the reason I would make the GPIB interface external to the box is to save a slot; the chassis we are using is 6 slots, and we would like to leave as many slots as possible for our cards.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,851 Views)
Like any GPIB controller, you can develop a non-controller application using the ENET. There are several examples available on the Developer Zone (http://zone.ni.com) relating to "non-controller" applications. They are typically implemented by continually polling its status for TACS or LACS state and executes IBRD and IBWRT accordingly.

Ryan Mosley
National Instruments, Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 2
(2,851 Views)