Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsupported version of visa

I've been trying to install the NI-488-2 HS USB software on my Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise laptop and I keep getting this message:

Unsupported version of NI-VISA detected

A version of NI-VISA that is not supported on this operating system has been detected. You must cancel this installation and uninstall the older version before continuing. Visit ni.com/info and enter the Info Code CleanVista for more information.

However, there is no National software shown when I try to do an uninstall (I have not installed any National software on this computer and the computer was never upgraded from an older version of Windows).  I did find a National Instruments folder and deleted that.  I created a system restore point, backed up the registry, ran the registry editor and deleted everything I could find under a search of "visa."  All to no avail.  What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,768 Views)

Hey TommyTech,

Which version of the NI 488.2 drivers are you trying to install?

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(7,733 Views)

I tried loading NI-488.2 version 3.1.1 (the installation disk for the USB GBIP adapter) and also tried VISA 5.4.  Both failed at the same point.  I have no other NI software loaded on my laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(7,726 Views)

Hey Tommy,

Do you happen to have any other versions of VISA or 488.2 drivers installed on your system? Other versions such as those by Tektronix, Agilent, or any other provider?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,704 Views)

Not to my knowledge.  I haven't installed anything from either Agilent or Tek and I don't see anything remotely related to either company (or to VISA) when I look at installed programs and drivers in Control Panel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(7,700 Views)

Tommy, 

May I ask what the drivers are being installed for? Since you have no other National Instruments software on your computer then it's safe to assume you won't be interfacing with the drivers through LabVIEW. I ask becasue there may be another approach that we can make to this because it is definitely odd that you cannot complete the installation when there isn't a previous version installed. I'll keep looking at some other possibilities.

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,678 Views)
I need to run some software that controls our test equipment via GPIB. I work for Anritsu as an FIeld Application Engineer for our benchtop microwave test equipment.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(7,658 Views)

I just found out that the software I need to run doesn't require VISA.  However, I can't get past the notice I get to uninstall the previous version on VISA (which doesn't exist) when I try and install the NI USB GPIB software.  Is there any workaround here?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(7,621 Views)

Hey Tommy, 

I'm not sure why you are experiencing this issue if you've never had any National Instruments software on your computer before. I think we should try generating an error log from the installation to see if it gives us any more information as to why the installation fails.

Here are two KBs on how to generate and find NI error logs:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AB597E885DB7D16B86256E92006DB232?OpenDocument

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ACAA8550534EA407862574B80074DEDF?OpenDocument

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(7,618 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I have the same issue and found a Tektronix version on my the coputer. How can I proceed?

Many Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,272 Views)