From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown channel or repeated capability name - MAX IVI settings

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I am having issues with creating an IVI driver based application. I am using Agilent N6700B PowerSupply to simply configure and output a voltage through GPIB using LV2009 (and Win7). The main issue is with the "Channel Name" I need to specify in the application. Could anyone please confirm what ChannelName I need to use and if the settings in MAX are correct? I have attached all the necessary files.

When I run my application I get the following error "IviDCPwr IVI Error Converter.vi<ERR>

Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA0020) Unknown channel or repeated capability name.

<b>Complete call chain:</b>      IviDCPwr IVI Error Converter.vi      IviDCPwr Configure Output Range.vi      GPIB.vi "

Any help is much appreciated

Regards,

PK

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(13,104 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PKI

Hi PKI,

The correct physical name for channel is "1" and it was prepopulated for you by the driver under the Advanced>Instrument Driver Software Module (please see MAX1.jpg). You can name your virtual channel name however you want under the Driver Sessions>Virtual Names section but the physical name should always be 1 as specified in the driver (MAX2.jpg). In your application, make sure you use the exact same name for the virtual channel as saved in MAX.

Download All
Message 2 of 29
(13,075 Views)

Hi gagi1,

Thanks. It works now!

The issue was that the PhysicalName for the channel under Driver Sessions>Virtual Names section was not pre-populated to "1" and I had given it a name. Though this name matched with that in the Instrument Driver Software Modules>Physical Names section, it did not work because, as you mentioned, it needs to be "1" specifically.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

PK

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(13,046 Views)

I'm using CVI and am having the same problem.  Thanks for the solution, but I have one question: What gets passed in as the parameter for the Channel Name when using the IviDCPwr class functions, the Physical Name or the Virtual Name?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(12,676 Views)

Hello cmelo258,

If you are asking what gets passed as "Channel name" to the vi, then it is "1" (without the quotes).

I have attached a vi snippet of the file I had created. You should be able to copy this into your block diagram and use it as is, assuming you have LV2009 or higher.

Cheers,

PK

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(12,668 Views)

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem with a 33521A Agilent function generator.

I'm using TestStand and the driver has populated the physical name with 1 and 2 in Max. I'm using the IVITool to init the device but fails on that step. The init step config doesn't allow for any reference to virtual names, so I'm a little perplexed as to what it's complaining about.

Sorry to tag onto this thread but I can't find anything anywhere else..

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(12,527 Views)

NDAL,

Could you be a little more specific and attach some error screenshots. That would help.

PK

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(12,522 Views)

Hi PK, sorry for the vagueness.

Please find attached various screen shots.

All virtual names, physical names etc are defaults after installing the driver. I've set the driver to 'Don't Simulate' and have tried setting the channel qualifiers to 'IViFgen' and 'IviDriver' as well (MAXdriver.JPG).

The IVITools step editor has no reference to virtual names nor can I set any such reference (as suggested in the initial reply to this thread where the application must reference the same virtual name as defined in MAX).

I initially was using theAgilent 33210A where the device would init fine, but any configuration later in the sequence would pass, but not actually do anything. I have since tried the 33521A but have not been able to get passed the init.

On another note. every time I run a single pass, or even open TestStand, the installer runs. I have to cancel it everytime and it gets quite annoying. Would this have anything to do with the init failures, ie there may be a component missing that is required to communicate with the device?

A bit of background, I have been tasked with finishing this test sequence that a colleague of mine started approx a year before. He apparently had everything working using the 33210A. Nothing has changed since in terms of the sequence, config, or the PC in the test room that we are running this from. We've just swapped over to the 33521A to see if there was an issue with the 33210A itself, but can't seem to get it working properly either.

The project was initially setup with reference to www.bourbaky.com/dwnld/SICL/readme/trouble/niinfo.htm where there were specific issues related to Agilent and NI libraries being installed on the same PC. These were followed and the initial sequence was working, as mentioned earlier.

Happy to take this offline or start another thread if it ends up unrelated to this one.

Thanks again 🙂

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(12,499 Views)

...and more attachments..

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(12,498 Views)

Hi NDAL,

In looking at your screenshots, it looks like the program is calling "FGen1" but that the Resource Descriptor is just "FGen".  Can you try making those match and see if the problem persists?  I'd be interested to see if that's confusing the program since the resource names aren't exactly the same.

Regards,

-Dave C

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(12,457 Views)