From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Error in NI MAX

Hello,

i sometimes receive these errors in MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer):

The niGPIBsys.dll plug-in caused an exception in the CmxSysExpertManager::InitializeExpert function in the NIMax process.
See these files for details:
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130715_132347-NIMax-00001B7C.log
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130715_132347-NIMax-00001B7C.dmp

OR

The niGPIBsys.dll plug-in caused an exception in the CmxSysExpertManager::FinalizeExpert function in the NIMax process.
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130718_105523-NIMax-000017A4.log
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130718_105523-NIMax-000017A4.dmp

After PC restart this works fine and I dont get error messages in MAX.

I use Labview 2011 SP1 and Windows 7.

Hardware from NI: PCIe-6259

The folder "ProgramData" does not exist, so I cannot find the files listed above.

This is a new installation of LabView 2011 on a new computer, but settings in MAX are imported from old PC and the PCIe-6259 card was also taken from the old PC.

I installed all critical updates via the NI update service for NI 488.2, NI serial etc., but it did not help. I also removed entire MAX database and imported in again, but no progress.

What should I do? Thank you for any ideas.

Petr

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,315 Views)

Hi Petrm,

what kind of configuration did you take from older computer? Can you try not to take this old configuration and make it on the current computer after resetting MAX database via Tools > Reset Configuration Data? This can be source of these problems. Also make sure that you have newest drivers (DAQmx) including the MAX.

By the way, of course, that ProgramData folder exists, but it is hidden. You can enable to see these hidden folders but even without it, ProgramData folder is accessible, e.g. directly write a path to the Explorer window. 

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,284 Views)

Hello,

I have found that the ProgramData folder is hidden Smiley Happy

Then I resetted the MAX database and imported tasks and channels that are related only to PCIe-6259 card. Some task on old PC were related to an USB DAQ cards, which are no longer connected to new PC.

Now it looks like it works, no error messages yet.

When I connect an USB DAQ card to the new PC, I guess I must create new tasks and do not import anything from old PC.

Best regards,

Petr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,276 Views)

Hi Petrm,

yes, do not import the tasks, try to create them instead if possible (I do not know how extensive settings you have there).

Best regards,
Martin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,267 Views)

@AECmartin wrote:

Hi Petrm,

yes, do not import the tasks, try to create them instead if possible (I do not know how extensive settings you have there).

Best regards,
Martin

Better yet,  Make them "project" Tasks and keep them out of "XML- Hell" (MAX)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,242 Views)

I have resetted the MAX database and created only 3 tasks manually in MAX, but the next day after starting the computer I got the same error with GPIB after starting MAX.

How do I create project tasks? I am new to LabView, I use some VIs created by my colleague, but I would like to learn more.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,214 Views)

Hi Petrm,

In this case will be better to create task using Express VI and generate DAQmx code. In the http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4656/en you can find description how to do that. Once you have task created using LabVIEW code, there is no problem with MAX (at least you can easilly reset MAX database, import PCI card and continue after MAX crash). And it is also good that you will configure task well readable and you can compare generated code with configuration made. For beginning it is very powerful learning tool.

Even better solution is to create your DAQmx tasks manually or use examples (and modify them for your needs) from Help > Find Examples, there select Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx > Analog Input (or type of the task you want to use). Basically, the task consists of 1. create task, 2. configure task (timing, trigger), 3. run task (acquire or generate data) and 4. clear task. There is nice Getting Started on http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5434/en , mainly Basic Programming with NI-DAQmx section can be useful for finding way how to do that.

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,190 Views)

Hello I made a reset configuration Data but now have the following:

The AsstntUI.mxx plug-in caused an exception in the CmxProviderWrapper::GetBindingClasses function in the NIMax process.
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20140619_091614-NIMax-000010E8.log
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20140619_091614-NIMax-000010E8.dmp

Do you know why happened this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,473 Views)