From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB001 to actual comm port

I've used Zebra (Brady) label printers for years with Labview. The last time I installed one, it was still a parallel type. In WinXP I had to change the port to an unused com port so Labview could write to the LPT port directly. I have to write to the printer using the ZPL language, not as a normal "default" printer.

My issue now is the latest printer is a USB type. When it installs under windows, it is assigned to USB001 Virtual printer port for USB. Now I cannot see the printer anywhere in MAX and cannot write to it through Labview. MAX cannot see a virtual usb port and I cannot redirect it in device manager.

Just looking to see if I'm missing something simple (again).

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,825 Views)

Hi Teritask,

If the USB printer does not use a Virtual COM port (shows up as a COM port or LPT port) VISA will not find the port. Linked below is a forum that talks about communicating with USB devices:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Using-USB-without-VISA/m-p/1149110 (The title of the post is not accurate and actually talks about USB printer and VISA)

Hope this helps!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,785 Views)