Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-to-RS232

Solved!
Go to solution

I WAS using an NI USB-to-RS232/4 hub and communicating successfully with an external device for a few days.  It decided to vacation elsewhere, and I was left in extremis.  In searching the Discussion Forum, using (I think) "USB-to-RS232", I came across a post from someone with the same problem.  After trying the solutions suggested by NI, which I did as well after a long discussion with NI Support, the fellow with the same problem solved it by purchasing a CommFront USB-to-RS232 hub. 

I can't find the thread now, and can't get MAX to recognize the CommFront hub, so I can't turn it into a VISA resource. I have uninstalled and re-installed NI-VISA and NI-Serial 3.9.1  The hub does appear in Device Manager as "usb>>rs232."  I would like to contact the person who initiated the thread I negelcted to save to learn how they solved the problem, or am desperate for any suggestions about how to have NI stuff recognize an alien species, like the CommFront hub.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,582 Views)

Hi Reserved,

Here is the forum post I think you were referring to:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/USB-RS232-LV2011-amp-NI-Serial-3-8-1/m-p/2132...

I have heard of customers who went into device manager and somehow changed the USB-Serial port to a regular COM port. This somehow makes MAX recognize it as such and then it can be used normally including as a VISA resource. I will continue to look into this but meanwhile try using device manager to tell windows to treat it as a regular serial port. Also, I would try doing a repair on NI MAX.

Regards,
Basil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,550 Views)

Where in device manager are you seeing the "usb>>rs232" item?

The multi-port adapters I've worked with show up a few places in devmgmt.

The hub is really a 4-port USB hub  with a 232 adapter on each downstream port.

So you'll see a "USB Hub" or something similar in "USB Controllers", and a handful of actual COM ports in the "Ports" category.

Make sure all the downstream ports are showing up with a unique COM port number under Ports.

Another thing to check, grab a copy of Device Remover and nuke all the hidden/detached Ports from your machine.  I've seen situations where a previously-connected (but now disconnected) device has some COM number, and plugging in a new device takes that same COM number, and the port doesn't work.  Clearing out the hidden/detached devices followed by a restart clears up most of those problems.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,534 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Reserved

Thanks to you both.  I was able to change the name to "COM" after searching a bit in Device Manager.   Communication serially with the external instrument is now possible. I have learned a great deal.

NI should have a third option in the trading of these messages.  In addition to "Reply" and "Accept as Solution," the third option should be "Reply and Accept as Solution."  That way, the discussion thread can be closed while still giving the opportunity to thank those that provided the solutions.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,506 Views)

Hi Reserved,

You're welcome, that is very considerate of you. The best way to thank us is to let us know exactly the procedure that you followed to solve the problem in as much relevant detail as possible so that other customers in the future can benefit from your experience. So could you let us know exaclty what functionality you used in Device Manager to achieve this? Did you make use of the device remover?

Regards,
Basil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,484 Views)

No worries, Basil.  The system on which I was working is located in NY, and I am presently in Seattle.  When I return to NY in a couple of weeks, I will try to replicate the steps I took, and send you a detailed description of how the problem was solved.  I did not delete anything listed in Device Manager.   Having the steps I took after the conversation was terminated would seem to be useful information. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,457 Views)

Oh yes that sounds good. I recall speaking to you on the phone about this issue as well. Hope everything worked out with that customer.

Regards,
Basil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,440 Views)