Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB communication with sartorius balance

Solved!
Go to solution

We are trying to communicate with a Sartorius Practum 224-1s scale.  The scale only has one USB output. The laptop we are using only has USB inputs.  It appears that all of the drivers rely on serial communication.

Is there a set of drivers that will allow LabVIEW 2016 communicate with the Sartorius Practum 224-1s scale directly through the USB port?

Thank you,

jrhappe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,183 Views)

The usb port is probably a usb serial converter on both sides, so it should work with the normal serial port software.

I try to find my program that communicates with several balances and post it here.

Any clue about the LabVIEW version you need?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,151 Views)

I was able to connect the scale to the USB port and see the device with NI MAX. I assigned a VISA name.  I am now getting different errors when I run the example program. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,131 Views)

Here is the error I get.

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Sartorius Print.vi->Sartorius Get WeightCluster.vi->Sartorius Example Get Weight.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,129 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jrhappe

We had two problems.  The print settings on the scale had to be changed to manual and print without stabilization. The “Sartorius Example Get Weight.vi” included in the instrument library does not work . 

The “Sartorius Get Weight With Units.vi” also included in the instrument library did work. We are now able to read the scale in LabVIEW.

The USB serial driver is located on the scale but you have to connect to it as a USB mass storage device through the menu on the scale.

Message 5 of 8
(9,083 Views)

Trying to connect up a Sartorius Quintex6102-1S & the computer can see the balance on the Com port however I'm getting this error using the downloaded driver from LabView - Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Sartorius Print.vi->Sartorius Get WeightCluster.vi->Sartorius Example Get Weight.vi

What settings on the balance do I need to adjust?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,429 Views)

T

@BobHGSK wrote:

Trying to connect up a Sartorius Quintex6102-1S & the computer can see the balance on the Com port however I'm getting this error using the downloaded driver from LabView - Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Sartorius Print.vi->Sartorius Get WeightCluster.vi->Sartorius Example Get Weight.vi

@BobHGSK wrote:

The print settings on the scale had to be changed to manual and print without stabilization. The “Sartorius Example Get Weight.vi” included in the instrument library does not work . 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,238 Views)

Hello Everyone in this thread,

I am trying to read the weight on a Satorius Quintix 125D-1CEU. I extracted the drivers from the scale itself via USB mass storage. The settings I use on the scale (I found this on another NI thread)

• USB Port - Device/ Protocol --> PC-SBI
  • printout --> Manual without stability

IF I use a serial monitor (putty in this case) I can read the COM port and whenever I press print on the print option on the scale I receive the weight in putty on my laptop. 

Now I want to reproduce this in LabVIEW. I have LabVIEW 2017 installed. So, I downloaded the corresponding NI - Satorius driver from http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E654C3E882593B45E0340003BA230E... . However, non of the examples or seperate functions work.  

In putty I use a baud rate of 1200. From the VI library I gather that the settings are:

• Flow control: RTC/CTS
  • Parity: Odd
  • Data bits: 7
  • Stop bits: 1

Scale: https://www.sartorius.com/shop/ww/en/eur/applications-laboratory-weighing-laboratory-balances/quinti... 

Manual (in German): https://www.sartorius.com/shop/medias/?context=bWFzdGVyfGRvY3VtZW50c3wxMTU0MTQyNnxhcHBsaWNhdGlvbi9wZ... 
Manual similar scale (in English): https://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/handlers/libraryFiles.ashx?filename=Manuals_B_BAL7100_C.pdf 

My current VI is in the attachments. The error I currently get is: 
VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,866 Views)