Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-RAW VISA MAX Sylvac sensor

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear community

I'm a new user of LabView and I would like to read data from an USB Sylvac distance sensor (see here for the sensor link http://www.sylvac.ch/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=201&category... ).

When I'm using the software provided by Sylvac, no problem everything is working well.

Note that it is not possible to create a VCP since Sylvac does not provide the drivers for this particular sensor contrary to this post http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-read-out-data-via-usb/td-p/2042980 .

I created the driver for NI-VISA following this procedure (NI-VISA Driver Wizard)

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en/

In the MAX, the sensor is properly detected.

Using a USB sniffer (USBlyzer), and using the drivers and software from Sylvac, I found that the software sends a command to the sensor to ask for the position  (?\r or 3F 0D in HEX) and the sensor answer by sending the position (see attachment for USBlyzer report).

When I'm doing the same with MAX test panel and NI-VISA drivers, I'm able to see the 3F 0D, then the 2 bytes buffer, but no back from the sensors (see attachment).

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or in which direction I should look for?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,715 Views)
I suspect that your biggest mistake was in using the VISA wizard. Before you blee away the vendor's driver, did it appear as a com port?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,698 Views)

I think you have installed the suppliers drivers incorrectly.  You should be able to interface with the device as if it is a standard RS-232 port IIRC.

Do NOT use USB RAW if you already have a driver from the manufacturer unless you want to waste your time.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,677 Views)

Thanks for your answers and sorry, if I was not clear enough.

When I pluged it for the first time and when I instaled the drivers from the manufacturer, no VCP is created, it is recognized only as USB . Actually, I ask for VCP drivers at the begining directly to the manufacturer because I was also thinking it was working like this and the answer was that they are not existing.

I have another question: where is the sniffer positionned: Softwear->drivers->sniffer->hardwear or Softwear->sniffer->drivers->hardwear

If it is the second case, this can explain why I get the same in the sniffer but no answer from the sensors

Best,

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,672 Views)

If that is the case, ask the supplier to provide LabVIEW drivers for you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,669 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Momo360

I finally « solved » the problem by changing the sensor with the USB plug to the one with RS232.Thanks for your answers.

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,611 Views)

Hello Memo360,

I am an user of Sylvac D200S. I need to obtain data of D200S via LabVIEW. Would you please share your code for me?

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,630 Views)

Please find the function attached

As mentionned in my previous post, this is only working for the  RS232 version, not the USB one.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,617 Views)