Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-GPIB-HS+ status lights alternating green-amber

Forgive me for such a simple question, how does one stop the alternating green and amber status light on the USB-GPIB-HS+ interface? 

Context:

Downloaded the linux gpib 4.1 driver library and compiled on a RPi3.  Modified the /etc/gpib.conf file to specify ni_usb_b board type and ibtest and ibterm work great (at least I can do *idn? and set frequency or report frequency on a clock generator).  However, the status light on the GPIB dongle is alternating green and amber.  I found documentation on the NI site that says:

Alternating Amber/Green

The GPIB-USB-HS+ is not ready to use. You must install (or re-install) the NI-488.2 driver before using the GPIB-USB-HS+.

Note: Windows 8 and later suspend power to a USB device that does not have a driver attached. If the LED does not light, try reinstalling the NI-488.2 driver.

Nothing in the log file indications any kind of problem loading the driver.  Given the maturity of this product and drivers, seems like I have missed something.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,545 Views)

Hello rlf396,

I understand that you do not suspect the issue to be a driver-related due to the log file not indicating any driver errors. Do you happen to know if the Linux GPIB driver library you have downloaded and compiled on your Raspberry Pi 3 includes a version of NI-488.2 compatible with your OS?

Also, have you tested this particular GPIB-USB-HS+ to ensure it works on another computer?

Mike B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,479 Views)

Mike,

Good questions.  The GPIB library is the open source library 4.1.  I do not know if has 488.2 but from poking around in the source, there are references to 488.2 when parsing the read buffer.

I have tried several computers with same result, alternating flashing green and amber.   I do not have another USB-GPIB-HS+ dongle to try.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,474 Views)

Thread bump, any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,434 Views)

I also saw references to 488.2 in the driver documentation, but I'm skeptical that the driver you mentioned includes the same components as the NI-488.2 driver necessary to communicate with the GPIB-USB-HS+. Moreover, it seems that the only NI-488.2 drivers compatible with the GPIB-USB-HS+ are for Windows.

Though I have not reviewed it for correctness, it appears that this external forum post talks about how to do this with a similar device.

Mike B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,410 Views)