From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Communication port error when running third party instrument labVIEW source code

I am using LabVIEW source code developed by a company that creates instructional chemical engineering equipment (i.e. small scale heat exchangers, distillation columns, etc.) that is meant for their distillation column. The purpose of this software was to be able to edit the code to allow for different methods of data analysis and control. The program also requires a supplied USB driver for communication with the hardware.

My issue that I am encountering is that when I run the main vi file of the project and turn on the data acquisition and control hardware, I run into communication port errors after around 2-5 minutes. The errors occur in sub VI's labeled "SetAnalogueOutput" and "ReadAnalogueDigital" which, to my knowledge, are used to read the USB through VISA functions. The program then prompts me to check the communication port and restart the application. This issue only occurs when I turn on the hardware. Whenever I run the program by itself, it properly recognizes the communication port and does not run into any errors.

When I look in NI MAX, the communication port is shown to be unknown after the error occurs and unplugging and replugging the USB cord is the only way for MAX to recognize the port. In addition, Windows Device Manager has no trouble recognizing the communication port throughout this time. I looked around the forums for a similar issue and did not find anything. I contacted the company and they suggested using a shorter USB 2.0 cable and temporarily disabling anti-virus software as it supposedly can cause spikes in data transfer. I have tried both of these solutions and neither have worked for me. 

Additional Information: The original software to run this distillation column is an executable application of the LabVIEW program that does not allow for modification or viewing of the VI files. This software runs perfectly fine with no issue in regards to communication. 

I have attached the error screens. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(1,783 Views)