Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6525 not controllable by VISA

Hello,

I have acquired an USB-6525 and I'm trying to make it works on a debian Jessie distribution : 3.16.0-4-amd64

After several web research , I managed to make NidaqmxBase 15 works on this distribution.

I have installed NI VISA 16 too,

I have lsdaq operational, as well as all scripts in /usr/local/vxipnp/linux/NIvisa

My problem is the following now :

-lsdaq and the example code ../Nivisa/Example/C/FindRsrc don't see the USB-6525 .

-lsusb see the USB-6525 , but there is no driver attached to it:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 3923:71df National Instruments Corp.

Device Descriptor:

bLength 18

bDescriptorType 1

bcdUSB 2.00

bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)

bDeviceSubClass 0

bDeviceProtocol 0

bMaxPacketSize0 64

idVendor 0x3923 National Instruments Corp.

idProduct 0x71df

bcdDevice 1.04

iManufacturer 1 National Instruments

iProduct 2 NI USB-6525

-lsmod show that the module are launched:

nimxdfk 438900 1

nipxirmk 285664 1

nidimk 322053 3 nipxirmk,NiViPxiK

nimdbgk 315452 3 nipxirmk,nimxdfk

niorbk 74497 4 nipxirmk,nimdbgk,nimxdfk,nidimk

nipalk 937642 9 nipxirmk,NiViPciK,NiViPxiK,nimdbgk,nimxdfk,nidimk,niorbk

binfmt_misc 16949 1

nikal 75471 7 nipxirmk,NiViPxiK,nimdbgk,nimxdfk,nidimk,nipalk,niorbk

-visaconf is able to see the USB 6525 as USB RAW ( see picture).

-Nivisaic is able to see the USB 6525 but any query from it reachs a timeout (see picture).

is nidaqMxbase supposing linking a driver to any usb nidaq or do I miss something ?

Is USB 6525 supported in linux ? ( the NI site information seems to show that is not)

Otherwise, is there any way to communicate with this device using the /dev/bus/usbXXX ?

like a documentation about the command to send for example.

I have also install NI VISA 16 on a windows 7 PC and tried USB 6525 on it, NI-VISA Interactive Control see it but fail to perform any query action like above to,

PyVisa (python) does not see it too even if I used NI-VISA Driver Wizard to generate a driver and install it.

my aim is to control the USB-6525 through VISA API, but so far it fail to be reconigzed by it on both Linux and Windows.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,523 Views)

Hello Vigogo,

USB devices do not support VISA aliases, but there are other ways to use your 6525 on a remote system.

If you're doing development or testing, consider using Windows Remote Desktop Connection to log in to the remote machine attached to the card. You'll be able to write and run VIs and save data on that machine.

Regards,

Maxime G. | Application Engineer
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,478 Views)

my aim is to do all the development and testing on the same OS (linux).

I think that I will use the Driver Development Kit ressource to develop a driver to control the USB-6525.

Do you know if examples on USB-6525 exist, or on an equivalent ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,474 Views)

Maxime,

do you know if the USB-6525 register mapping documentation is available somewhere ? (621x  is the only one available on MDDK for USB  M series)

I was able to communicate with the board througth PyUsb (python), but  I dont know what commands to send.

Message 4 of 4
(3,449 Views)