From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 232/4 stops communicating

Hello,

I have a test system using 2 USB 232/4 modules to communicate with up to 8 devices under test (DUTs). At least once a day, we'll loose communication to 4 devices, which are all connected to one of the two USB 232/4 modules. We end up resetting the PC to get things working again. We are running LV 8.2 and TestStand 3.5. I have a second identical test system running the same software, but my RS232 interface uses 2 "old" NI PCI 4-port cards. This system never experiences any communication failures like the failures we see on the USB 232/4 system. So I can rule out that the software (VIs and test sequence) are the cause of the problem, since they are identical on both systems.

I am aware of some MS Windows USB driver issues where the driver will shut down the USB port if there are too many errors/timeouts occurring on this port. I did notice that NI has their own driver for this card (saw this through Windows Device Manager). But I wonder if the NI driver might have "inherited" the Windows USB driver bug.

I was wondering if anyone has run into similar problems and come across a fix?

Thank you in advance for your time and response.

Thank you,

Jim 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,616 Views)

Or has windows powered down the bus.

Check if that can happen. Sometimes nasty to find. 

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,609 Views)