Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a bit stream sent to serial port using VISA

Hi

I am using the Serial VIs or the VISA VIs to initialize and write to the serial port. I am trying to send a HEX decimal no "C0".. as an 8 bit stream to the serial port. The VISA vis only take in strings as input and so also do the Serial VIs. Is there a way I could send the above string to the serial port.

Thanks
hrishi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,754 Views)
Either use the Byte Array to String to convert from an array of U8 or set your string control for Hex Display.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,750 Views)

Hi,

I am using a similar application, where I need except the data Tx (TxD) also two clocks. Is there a possibility to get out of the 9 pin two other transmission lines?

It's because I am trying to run a 74TTL595 8-bit serial-in to parallel-out controler.

Thanks

Yariv

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,732 Views)

I might be confused by your question, but are you wondering if the 9 pin line has more than one transmission line?  If you could clarify a little bit more for me that'd be helpful. Thanks!

JenK

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,723 Views)

Hi,

Yes. I need 3 transmission lines out of the 9-pin. The  don't have to be paralell.

To overcome this issue I have started to work with the paralell port.

Thanks yariv

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,718 Views)

Hi Yariv,

It sounds like you may have found a solution, but I just wanted to share the following information with you regarding the serial port and what each pin is used for.  The description next to each pin in this case would be for a modem connected to your computer:

9-pin connector:

1. Carrier Detect - Determines if the modem is connected to a working phone line.
  2. Receive Data - Computer receives information sent from the modem.
  3. Transmit Data - Computer sends information to the modem.
  4. Data Terminal Ready - Computer tells the modem that it is ready to talk.
  5. Signal Ground - Pin is grounded.
  6. Data Set Ready - Modem tells the computer that it is ready to talk.
  7. Request To Send - Computer asks the modem if it can send information.
  8. Clear To Send - Modem tells the computer that it can send information.
  9. Ring Indicator - Once a call has been placed, computer acknowledges signal (sent from modem) that a ring is detected.
From this you can see that you can only have one transmit line.  All of the other lines have another purpose.  If you want to read more about serial ports you might find the following site helpful:

I hope this clarifies some things.  Thanks!

JenK
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,698 Views)