From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermotron 7800 controller using USB/Serial connection

Hi this topic has been covered on here before a few years ago and i am a labview beginner and looking for a helping hand in the right direction

I am trying to control a Thermotron 7800 controller using a USB/Serial interface cable with a Labview program.

To try establish if i am connecting to the controller i am using in measurement and automation explorer and  devices and interfaces it recognises the USB/Serial connection as ASRL46:INSTR "COM46"

All the setting's match with the controllers setting but when i go to read or write in the I/O section, it just returns errors.

I have been told to cross pins 2 & 3 on the serial interface.

Has anyone worked on a similar project as this?

Also I have downloaded the relevant drivers from Thermotron.

Is there a list of what the commands are on the I/O section on the test panel?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,988 Views)
What are the actual errors you get and what do you write?

Whether or not you need to cross the wires (null modem connection) would be in your instrument manual.

The list of commands would be in the manual for your instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,983 Views)

This controller is over 15 years old and i don't have the required 7800 computer interface manual,

The error i am receiving is a time out error.

There are sample VI's available for the project on here, but there is no connection so they aren't much good until i have the 2 pieces of equipment communicating

Also with the drivers i downloaded from Thermotron, it said to take the driver files and mass compile them in labview and that seem to work fine. It then tells me to place the th7800_32.dll file into the C:\VXIpnp\winNT\bin. How do I create the VXIpnp directory?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,960 Views)

Put the DLL in the same folder as the LLB.  Use a LabVIEW project window "add folder" menu selection to add the LLB as a folder.  The LabVIEW project will have a folder called TH7800 with all the driver VIs in it.  Also, place the TH7800 LLB & DLL folder inside your project folder structure to make sure it comes along when moving projects along.  No need to install the TH7800 DLL and menu structure under the LabVIEW folder.  That will work, but the Thermotron 7800 is an old chamber and you are not likely to use it often enough to make it part of your LabVIEW enironment.

I am looking for a user manual for the TH7800_32.DLL

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,556 Views)