Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tektronix TDS 3000 series GPIB-USB control

I have a Tektronix TDS 3032 oscilloscope hooked up to a computer via a GPIB-USB-HS connector. I am trying to control it using the instrument driver downloaded from ni.com. The default setting on the initialize block diagram under Open Instrument Property Node is Intf Type with USB as the default option. When I try to run the VI with the USB selection, it returns the following error:

TKTDS3K Error Query;
Instrument reports the following:
241:  Hardware missing;
0:  No events to report - queue empty

When I then change the Interface Type to GPIB, it returns the following error:

Property Node (arg 2) in Tektronix TDS 3000 Series.lvlib:Initialize.vi

I have tried many of the other options and they all return similar errors. I have checked with NI MAX and I am sure that the`VISA resource name is correct. Many of the other VIs in the instrument driver work just fine so I am confused as to why this one does not. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,887 Views)

I'm not seeing these inputs you are referring to.  There's the VISA Resource input.  That should point the the GPIB interface with the address the scope has been set to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,884 Views)

This is the area of the block diagram that I am having trouble with. The visa resource name is fine, as I have checked it with MAX but the interface type is returning an error. Both options within the property node have many options but I cannot find one that works. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,882 Views)

I'm sorry, the picture didn't show up but the Visa resource name matches with what I have found from MAX, but after the VISA resource name and the error in, there is a VISA open icon, then a Series Clear VI, then there is a property node with one pull down menu. The default in this menu is Intf Type but the other options range from General Setting to Interface Information to Version Information to Settings for each individual bus. This property node is then wired to an Equal? icon with another drop down menu. This dropdown menu has all the different input options: GPIB, VXI, GPIB-VXI, Serial, PXI, PCPIB, USB. I am not sure which to select for either menu. Thanks for the help sorry for the ambiguity, my first time with LabView.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,876 Views)

YOU CHANGED THE DRIVER?!!!  No.  You should never change any supplied driver VIs.

That was a check to see if the VISA session was a serial interface.  This is done because the serial port requires more setup than the other bus types.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,873 Views)

Ok well I am still getting the error message when I do not change the driver. Is there something to do about that or have I not initialized the instrument correctly? The error message is still there even when the driver is in its default settings.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,865 Views)

What error are you getting?  With the driver I found, you should not be getting that property node error.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,862 Views)

The error is:

TKTDS3K Error Query;
Instrument reports the following:
241:  Hardware missing;
0:  No events to report - queue empty

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,856 Views)

That's an error actually coming from the scope.  I wonder if you have a loose connection with a module or something like that.

Without performing the initialize, try calling the Reset VI and see if you still get the error.  Time to start the process of figuring out where the error is flagged.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,849 Views)