Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tektronix MSO56 Image Acquire

Hello,

Currently I'm trying to acquire oscilloscope image by LabVIEW for oscilloscope Tektronix MSO56.

After sending the save image & file system commands, it can work to capture the image.

However, after that, the oscilloscope will not give any response to other commands (including *IDN?) until restart the oscilloscope. 

Anyway, by manually pressing the oscilloscope works perfectly, just remote access is failed.

Attached you can see the LabVIEW VI.

Basically, there are 2 parts commands in the VI:

1st, invert the color of image, and save image in pre-set folder (use “:SAVE:IMAGE” command group).

2nd, read file from the pre-set folder (use “:FILESYSTEM” command group).

Need help on how to improve on this VI? 

Did I miss out anything to end the communication between VISA and equipment?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,916 Views)

Hi there!

I am wondering why did you set the byte count to 1000000? I believe this is the reason why your scope is crashing

Additionally, here you can find a labview plug and play driver which is basically a labview example for Tektronix MSO56. You can modify it and use for your own purposes.

Also, just to make sure that the issue is related to LabVIEW VI that you have attached, you can restart both PC and Scope, then go to NI MAX and try to send an IDN command from VISA Test Panels.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,822 Views)

Basically I just want to make sure that the Read VISA is able to read all the output, that's why I set it to a large value for the byte count.

I try the similar VI for other Tektronix oscilloscope, i.e DPO5054, and it is working fine.

Regarding the LabVIEW example from NI website, I dont find suitable example for my case. 

They do not provide save image and transfer image VI, but only read waveform as csv etc.

After restarting the computer and LabVIEW, no problem for oscilloscope to response IDN command.

I'm thinking if this is related to no OS in the oscilloscope?

Do we need a window OS for ":FILESystem:READFile" to work as another scope I tried, DPO5054, has its window OS.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,744 Views)

Hi

I have the feeling that a scope cannot handle blocks of data bigger than 64k.

Ask blocks of data until a block less than 64k comes in.

probably this will handle this problem.

You can also check the header of the communication, it should give info on the number of bytes actually needed so you can ask exactly (still in blocks of 64k) what you need for data.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,734 Views)

Oh yea, now I get what you mean.

Now I managed to transfer the image file from scope to PC.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,721 Views)

Can you give me your  solution for Image Acquire?547527588@qq.com,this is my e-mail.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,598 Views)

Can you post your example that works?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,435 Views)

Hi, Can I know how you solve the error? I have taken a look at your VI.file 
As currently, I have the same issue on the MSO54 Scope. 

I am able to FILESystem:READFile but was unable to extract the file out. The byte count is 0 for my png file. 

Please advise on how to solve the issues. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,158 Views)

Reduce the byte count of the VISA Read to around 250,000.

You may adjust based on the image size, but I feel it should be sufficient to handle the data.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,140 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply. 
I had tried 250 000 byte count but was still having the error -1073807339 when I'm trying to FILESystem:READFile. But When Im using *IDN? at 256 byte count, there is communication and is working fine. 

Here is my VI.file, please advise, thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,129 Views)