Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to same model instruments over the GPIB bus

Highlighted

I'm building a front panel interface for two Agilent E4435B signal generator that need to work together over the GPIB bus.  One generator is a jammer and the other is the modulated signal.  I would like to use one front panel to talk to both generators but I'm having trouble with getting both GPIB address so I can use them in the program.  I'm have done this before for single instrument but not sure how to handle two VISA address so I can switch between the two on one front panel.  Any suggestions or examples someone can point me to.

Thanks,

Gary Tyrna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,025 Views)

Why can't you just use the pulldown on the VISA Resource Name control to switch?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,024 Views)

Hi Gary, 

When using two GPIB devices, you need to program your application so that your devices are synchronized. That is, you do not want two reads/writes occurring at the same time. There is a good example of this (and accessing two addresses) in the Example Finder. In your VI, go to Help -> Find Examples... and then search for an example called "Basic 2 Port Serial Write and Read.vi". This example should help you to get started. Best of luck,  

Julianne K
Systems Engineer, Embedded Systems
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,009 Views)