From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from a cRIO to cDAQ

Hey all,

My supervisor wants to switch out our cRIO setup for a cDAQ setup to allow for better control via the computer. I work in a lab where we do HVAC testing in psychrometric chambers are used to test electrically-driven mechanical heating and cooling equipment.  These chambers are controlled using LabView software and updates to the code and control verification needs to be performed to actually get testing tolerances to standard. 

My labview experince is on the low side of the specturm, but i understand that cRIOs are set up to use a base written FPGS code in them where as the cDAQ is set up to just run from labview? The Labview code was set up by a third party, and has become littered with bugs as we've set up different tests / had multiple lab techs messing with it. 

Has anyone done this kind of switchover? I'm currious if that anyone has had issue with essentially having to rewrite their program or if it is a painless switch? 

Thanks for the read!

SamB. 

(Also I apologize in advance I am unable to post the code)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,651 Views)

cDAQ uses DAQmx to read and write from/to the IO.  cRIO uses LabVIEW FPGA and a RealTime OS to control the IO.  So it all really depends on your requirements for which one is really what you want.  I would rather have a cRIO because the FPGA adds so much capability.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(4,645 Views)

right, 

In my code it looks like the cRIO is utilized in the initializing portion and tolerancing global variables. I *think* what they were trying to do is use the program as if it were a cDAQ setup instead of a cRIO. I understand without posting the code, one is limited to the advice you can give. I am just really currious if anyone has experince switch from one set up to the other and if they were able to salvage their code or if it was a complete redo?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,630 Views)

In my experience, it is almost a complete redo just from going from Windows to a cRIO.  If your code is modular enough, you could get away with just chaning where the IO is actually accessed, but this is rarely a case.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,620 Views)