From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching a Power Supply ON/OFF through LabVIEW/VISA

Hello,

I am looking at controlling an Agilent Power Supply through LabVIEW. I have written a standalone VISA code which allows me to do this (find the attached image). This code allows me to make the power supply output a certain voltage and the return string verifies what voltage the supply outputs.

However, I am now looking at getting this power supply to switch off (i.e. output 0 volts) when any of the 5 temperatures I'm reading exceeds a certain value. Could someone tell me how I can go about adding this new piece of information in the code I have or a basic structure of how it's done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,860 Views)

Not all supplies support the SCPI protocol.  If you are looking to open the supply from the circuit rather than setting it to 0V, use one of the options below:

:OUTP OFF\n
OUTP OFF\n

some of the older supplies will respond to just

OUT 0\n
Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,835 Views)

You could try using a for loop with a conditional terminal such as the one on the picture I attached. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,833 Views)

You will need to handle how often the temperatures are sampled.  Here is another concept.

Exceeds or Normal OperationsExceeds or Normal Operations

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,822 Views)