Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectrum One CCD 3000 GPIB 488.2

I have a JobinYvon Spectrum ONE CCD 3000 and I am controlling it with LabVIEW 5.1 on windows 98. I can run the image acquisition vi but after it takes one image, it freezes the connection to the ccd controller. So if I try to rerun the vi, or any other vi communicating to the ccd, it doesn't work. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem or has anyone come across it before? Is it a hardware or software problem.

I thought perhaps the vi's were causing a problem with the ccd because it is Liquid Nitrogen cooled and this is not meant to be done unless the ccd is initialized, but there is no way to just initialize the ccd with labview that I can see. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,747 Views)

Have you solved the problem ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,849 Views)

Dear Shellpetal

The initialization of the camera has nothing to do with its cooling. The controller (the big box) has a heater circuit controlling the Temperature (Set to 140K).

There are manuals (1) and (2) which should help you understanding the init process.

Image acquisition (depending on the binning) takes with today's state of the art PCs and the desired (see manual 1) NI GPIB card up to 15 seconds with an integration time of 1000ms.

Sending malformed commands (slightly wrong syntax) can crash the controller easily. Therefore: Go to NI MAX, Open a VISA session with the controller and send a the string "\DE" without "\r".

It is what they call "\<222>" in the manual. This resets the controller to the so called boot-mode.

Actually, all the numbers you will see in the manual that are in those <> brackets should be converted to hex. \<222> will be \DE.

Please use 'Query' to send the command to get a immediate response.

You can probe the state of the controller sending a "\s" (whitespace, again without term(ination) char(acter)). It should reply with "B" for boot mode.

After initialization it will respond with "F". If you get a "b" this means that your command could not be identified. In order to bring the controller from Boot to Main send the command "O2000\00" (now with the term char \00 or \x00). After probing with "\s" you should get "F" now as a response.

Now, use the CCDInit.VI in the LIB\CCD_sup_llb directory and try to init the CCD or the Demo VIs in LIB\CCD_demo_llb. There, the CCD is being initialized before doing anything.

I attached the VIs to control the CCD. I suppose you are not working with that thing after 7 years but maybe somebody else does.

Good luck and have a nice day.

JW

Download All
Message 3 of 17
(5,717 Views)

Dear JW-WSI,

I also have an ISA Spectrum One CCD and purchased recently a CCD-3000v controller for it. The CCD is mounted in a 2.8l side-looked LN2 housing as discribed in manual (1). It has a label with "model no. F09" but unfortanetly this is all information I have.
It is already possible to acquire a spectrum but there is still something odd. As you can see in the attachement the baseline is around 900 and a weak signal results in a dip. If the signal increases the dip decreases until 220 and a peak within the dip is formed.
If I take a 2D image most of the time a horzontal stripe pattern is shown.
Both effects indicate a wrong readout or interpretation of the CCD.

Are there specific CCD parameters the controller needs

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(5,467 Views)

Dear NIHugo,

I am not an expert on what CCD controller (either ccd3000 or ccd3000v) is the one that suits you best. My CCD has the model number H07. The number is on the label near the flanche. My ccd3000v controller has the same H07 printed on its identifier label.

If you take a careful look into the VIs, you can see that the VIs load an .ini file in the CCD/ directory, as well as driver tabels. Maybe you load the wrong ones. I contacted Horiba JobinYvon lateley and they told me that there is no service anymore for that devices if they break, but the guys at Horiba are very friendly and maybe they could help you out with that.

What signal do you mean? for me, the spectrum looks mirrored. Could ou be more precise about you setup?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,454 Views)

Dear JW-WSI,

The serial of my CCD-3000V controller ends with /R16, so maybe there is a mismatch. Well, in the manual of the controller several different CCDs are described, therefore I hoped they are compatible. Since the VIs do not crash, no erros occur and I get something similar to a spectrum I have the feeling that I am already so close. I will contact Horiba for assistance.

The CCD is mounted to a SPEX1404 double-monochromator and I checked a green emission line of a mercury lamp. The spectrum should therefore have a baseline of ~0 with a more or less narrow peak in the middle. When I open the slits, the peak should increase and broadens.

Do you have friendly contact person at Horiba besides info@jobinyvon? 😉

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,447 Views)

Dear NIHugo

You cant say it like that. The baseline is most probably not zero, due to finite thermal and electrical noise at 140K. My SpectrumONE CCD has a baseline of about 1021 Counts/1sec integration time. Your spectrum definately looks like a real one, but flipped. Due to the flatness of your darknoise level i suppose you acquired the spectrum at your low temperature setpoint. You could negate your spectrum manually and add the baseline level 😉

So you do not see an increase in counts when increasing the power?

I guess we are out of topic now. You can write me a PM.
Best regards,
JW-WSI

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,425 Views)

hello, i used that libraries to control the CCD whit a spectrometer, but i never get peaks in the signal. the only thing i get  always  is the figure in the image attached. what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,729 Views)

Hi

What light source do you use?

And do you use an InGaAs Array rather than a CCD3000V controller?

Best regards,

JW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,725 Views)

the source is a mercury lamp, i use a ccd3000.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,723 Views)