Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorensen/Ametek Power Supply Does Not Supply Power When Commanded Via GPIB (IEEE488.2)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm commanding a Sorensen/Ametek SGe Series DC Power Supply via GPIB (IEEE488.2) using NI MAX. My write and query commands all seem to work but no power turns on. When the unit is commanded manually (locally) in the same  configuration it works.

The unit remote/local switch is in remote mode, 

I'm using the correct GPIB Address.

Here's an example string of commands that seemingly works despite no power actually coming on:

Query *IDN?

Response Sorensen SGe...
Query *RST
Query *CLS
Query *SYST:LOCAL?
Response 0
Write OUTP:STAT 0
Query OUTP:STAT?
Response 0
Query SYST:ERR?
Response No Error
Write SOUR:VOLT 12.0
Write SOUR:CURR:LIM 10.0
Query SOUR:VOLT?
Response 12.0
Response No Error
Write OUTP:STAT 1
Query OUTP:STAT?
Response 1
Query MEAS:VOLT?
Response 0.28
Query MEAS:CURR?
Response 0.0
Response No Error
Query SYST:FAUL?
Response 0, 0, 0, 0

No Errors or faults are reported and the output when queried says it is on with the commanded voltage, however no power comes out/or is measured.

Link to programming Manual: https://www.powerandtest.com/-/media/ametekprogrammablepower/files/dc-power-supplies/sge-series/manu...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,345 Views)

I have seen similar case, check if there is any DIP switch on the power supply to switch it into remote mode.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,293 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Gabe_712

The remote/local switch is okay to be in local because when you send it a GPIB command it switches over to remote mode automatically (but yes remote mode is the correct position).

This wasn't the source of my problem but I realized that SOUR:CURR is the real "current limit"  and SOUR:CURR:LIM is just a threshold that can't be programmed above. The "current limit" (SOUR:CURR) was defaulting to 0A on reset.

The source of the problem was that we were previously controlling the unit with an analog voltage controller and after removing this, we failed to replace the DSUB that came with the unit:

"Check the ANALOG CONTROL (J1) mating connector on the rear panel
to verify that Pins 5 and 6 (Remote Output On/Off) are shorted together to
enable the output of the supply."

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,288 Views)