Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something Different! need some help!

I have a very old instrument which is connected to old pc(i486). Both are working fine. Instrument does its work and give data to pc..and only one way to get data is printing on printer(dot matrix) connected with parallel port.

Now, what I want to do is that I want to use this data coming out of parallel port...I want to transfer it on other pc via LAN...I mean I should connect a device to pc's parallel port and this device frames it such that it can travel through LAN (ethernet) and I recieve it on pc and using labview I can frame it on excel........

Any device or converter available in the market?

or I can make something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,966 Views)

The physical connection is simple but you would need quite a bit of software to translate the printer control codes into something useful. I seem to remember software to convert the printer code to an image. You could try googling that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,944 Views)

I mean I need to convert data between parallel port to ethernet port...so need some hardware first...then If I get something then I will write software...

So anyone knows about hardware....???

One thing comes to my mind is the D-link DP-301P+ Fast Ethernet Print Server. But this is the reverse thing...which turns data coming from ethernet to compatible with parallel port printer...I need the exact opposite...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=322

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,913 Views)

Hi MSD100:

Regarding your query, you can look for one possible solution presented here

Hope this answers your query

Regards,
Sanchit Juneja
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Email: support.india@ni.com | Phone: 91-80-41190099
Learn at NI Developer Zone: http://www.ni.com/devzone

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,880 Views)

I think it has mentioned serial over ethernet, parallel port is still a question....what I wonder is can I put parallel to serial and then connect serial over ethernet....though not sure it would work.......

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,871 Views)