Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set addresses of identical DAQ devices

Hi,

Is there a way to set address of NI instrument? I have multiple NI USB 5132 and would like to adress them so that I can identify individual instrument. Either in HW or setting it in labview will be acceptible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,771 Views)
Each should have a unique name that you can see in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,767 Views)

Thanks for your help. I am develpoing test code that can be deployed in many test stations. These test stations will use the same test code. Setting instrument ID manually to certain number is only way to use the same software in different test stations. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,764 Views)

DAQmx devices may also have a user specified Alias that can be much more meaningful than "DevN" You can set that in MAX or programatically through the System API

[edit posts crossed]

As part of your deployment include the MAX configuration in the installer and all of your systems will have the correct configuration.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,763 Views)
Thanks, I still don't understand how to physically identifying each of them. I know programing them to be unique is easy but if I have to duplicate test system, how the MAX knows which one is which?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,750 Views)

You will have to go by the USB serial number.  Plug one in at a time and see which one comes up.

This is another reason I avoid USB in my test systems.  PCI/PXI is so much easier to manage.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,724 Views)
This cant be done in mfg floor when test system is deployed. Unless there is a way to identify each instrument, I have to change my test system to make all the equipment unique.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,717 Views)

If you are using some custom cabling, you could use some DIO with readback to figure out which device is connected up with which interface.  Switch your devices as necessary in the code then.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 16
(5,714 Views)
Thanks for your suggestion.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,676 Views)

@mchips wrote:
This cant be done in mfg floor when test system is deployed. Unless there is a way to identify each instrument, I have to change my test system to make all the equipment unique.

Which is exactly why this is such a good Idea

Don't hesitate to give it kudos

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 10 of 16
(5,701 Views)