Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication - A simulator based on request msg from other device, it should send response.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to create a simulator, which checks the request msg received from other devices via serial port and based on the request simulator should response msg.

For example: 

Other Device Request to my simulator  : 2B 2B 2B

My Simulator  Response : 65 6E 74 72 61 4E 45 54 3E 20

Also, there are series of request message send sequentially to the simulator and after response is sent by simulator for each request - login successful.

Any heads up on how to proceed is highly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,202 Views)

I would recommend a sort of state machine.  Each step in the state machine is to look for the message.  Do you have a better description of the full message protocol?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,178 Views)

Hi Crossrulz,

It is a serial data protocol and data are in ASCII format.

Can you post a simple vi if possible for my better understanding, so that i can take it up from there.

Thanks

Aniket

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,170 Views)

aniketjha wrote:

It is a serial data protocol and data are in ASCII format.

That is a start.  Do the messages you receive end with a termination character (typically a Line Feed, 0xA, \n)?

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,162 Views)

Yes, it ends with termination character...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,159 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aniketjha

I originally wrote this for a nugget series that I have been working on here in there.  Should at least get you started.

GCentral
Message 6 of 11
(4,149 Views)

Thanks Crossrulz, this will work.

I will let you know once i done with the vi.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,136 Views)

Hi Crossrulz,

1 simple doubt i have and it is not related to this topic, is there any way i can provide enable/disable button to create/clear communication loss via serial port.

Sorry for pulling up this simple question in this thread.

Thanks

Aniket

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,130 Views)

You can use a State Machine with states like "Connect", "Read", "Close", etc.  So when you detect a connection loss, you can go back to the Connect state or an idle state waiting for somebody to press a button to reconnect.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,117 Views)

I am actually new to this Crossrulz, if i get some sample vi on state machines particular to my requirement i will pick it up from there.

Aniket

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,113 Views)