Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Connection with VFD using VISA Write and Read

Hello,

I am attempting to control a Mitsubishi Electric D720 VFD with LabView 2015 using serial communication with an RS485 cable. I started with the simple serial example VI and expanded it from there. Right now I am having trouble with the read function. I get an output of 24 bytes from the write function, but I get a timeout error for the read function. I attached screenshots of the front panel and block diagram to this as well as the VI. If you have any advice or would like me to clarify anything, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marcus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,910 Views)

Does your device require an EOL character for the write? Such as line feed or carriage return? Append a \r to the end of the concatenate string and try again.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,845 Views)

Hi Brent,

A setting in the protocol allows the absence of an EOL character, so I was attempting to leave it out. However, I changed this setting and added the carriage return, but I am still getting the timeout error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,792 Views)

are you able to communicate with the device using a terminal program? hyperterminal, putty, etc?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,783 Views)

Using Putty, I can open up a session window, so I think I am communicating with it. However, I cannot type anything in the window, so maybe there is a problem with that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,772 Views)

Yup, there is a problem with that. Be able to talk to it first, then LabVIEW later. It'll be a lot easier to diagnose once you are sure you can talk to it. Check cables, protocol, baud rate/serial settings, etc. in putty. Then we can transfer that over to NI VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,768 Views)