Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate the ground of a 3-Phase Back-to-Back Inverter Research Board converter

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working out a 1 phase Multilevel Cascaded converter using a 3-Phase Back-to-Back Inverter Research Board converter. But I cannot use a single board to design this. Because both the inverter on board has common ground. So is there any way I can separate both the converters ground. 

This is very important to me. The alternative is I have to use two separate board to design this which is a lot more cost. So I am definitely looking for a positive answer. 

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,721 Views)

Hi rabiskar,

I would try using multi-layer board even though it's the same principle of having 2 or more boards.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019PxySAE

Maybe you can use both sides of the PCB but I'm not sure if that will generate a design error.

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,681 Views)

Hi PedroR,

Thanks for the reply. 

I could not understand what do you mean by "both sides of the PCB" and what is a multi layer board?

Regards,

Rabi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,676 Views)

You're welcome. A multi-layer board is manufactured by placing isolation in between the layer pairs then gluing them together. That's why I say it's similar to having several PCBs. 

With "both sides" I mean placing the cooper on top and bottom but I couldn't assure this idea makes sense. It might be better to go to someone with PCB designing experience.

Regards,

PedroR 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,668 Views)

Hi PedroR,

Thank you for your explanation. 

But according to your explanation, I have to design a new board and order it from the NI. But my requirement was to use the existing 3-Phase Back-to-Back Inverter Research Board by NI to design a cascaded inverter. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,661 Views)

Hi rabiskar,

You're welcome. I'm afraid I don't understand what do you mean by order it from NI. Could you explain further, please?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,651 Views)

3-Phase Back-to-Back Inverter Research Board is a GPIC board manufactured by the National Instruments for research purpose. If you go through the link below you can understand the difference. 

http://www.ni.com/example/14395/en/

We generate the switching sequence, do the necessary connections based on the design and design the output filter for the circuit. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,646 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rabiskar

I understand and I'm afraid that NI does not fabricate PCBs, the design there is for you to open with Ultiboard, modify it according to your requirements and contact a PCB manufacturer with the design generated by Ultiboard.

Because the example does not address using 2 inverters on the same board, it's complicated to understand if it's possible or not and it might be better to get in touch with someone that specializes in developing boards. 

Message 8 of 13
(3,636 Views)

Thanks for your reply. 

I dont know any right person whom should I contact to resolve this issue. It has been nearly a month since I am trying to solve this problem. 

If you have any appropriate contact person who can help me in this please let me know. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,598 Views)

You are welcome. I'm not sure if this is the right place for asking that. I would suggest taking a look at companies around your area that works with PCB designing.

Message 10 of 13
(3,587 Views)