From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen capture of Tektronix MSO4104B using LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

How is he keeping records if you don't save the file? Are you requiring that the user take a screen capture of the unsaved image?

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 49
(8,750 Views)

I suggest doing something like the following:

Save image as a temporary PNG file

Use function: "Read PNG file.vi"

Connect image data to function: "Draw Flattened Pixmap.vi"

Display picture in a "new picture" indicator

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 49
(8,745 Views)

@Tournifreak wrote:

For this application, the user just wants to capture a copy of what is on the scope screen for record-keeping

Isn't that what saving to a PNG is doing?  I'm not seeing the need to put it in a picture control.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 49
(8,738 Views)

Hi,

Sorry to jump in but have a related question. I created a subVI with this save screen function a while back, but the file sizes for either bmp or png formats using a Tek DPO4054 are large 2.25MB. It wasn't a big issue then but now we're capturing lots of data. Is there a way to reduce the file size capturing scrnshots programmatically? Tek SW Open Choice saves them into ~70KB which is very good.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 49
(8,715 Views)
2.5MB is the uncompressed BMP file size. If you are trying to save as png, you must doing something wrong. PNG files should be well under 100kB. Double check your scope image format command.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 49
(8,707 Views)

I fully agree that you are not doing something right.  The PNGs come in a lot smaller than BMP.

Make sure you set the format in the scope to output a PNG.  I also recommend turning ON the Ink Saver (turns the black background to white).

Check out this post that I made for the commands that I use.  Again, the PNGs should be way smaller than 1MB.  The 70kB seems quite reasonable.  If you are still having problems, upload your VI to see if we can find something wrong with it.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 49
(8,702 Views)

Here's the code I'm using, I'll try the commands shown on your examples.

One more thing is that screen shots saved using flash drive in the oscope are correct in size.

Thanks.

DPO scrn capture.png

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 49
(8,682 Views)

Try this:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 49
(8,676 Views)

hi Gibson,I also face the same problem,but there is a little difference.I use Ethernet interface connect my scope to PC,my scope type is TDS3032,when using the same code as yours(just modify the connect interface thpe),but  i didn't work.can you capture you screenshot with a Ethernet interface?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 49
(8,594 Views)

Check out my post here.  I made that code specifically for the TDS3034 (same family as your TDS3032).  My last project used Ethernet to communicate with the oscilloscope and it worked just find as is.  To be safe, you could change the port to use "ETHER" instead of "GPIB".

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 49
(8,588 Views)