Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen capture of Tektronix MSO4104B using LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Definitely consider the .png fileformat. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 49
(11,057 Views)

Or even better than png, save the vi itself in the forum, we don't have to regenerate it then from a drawing.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 12 of 49
(11,055 Views)

Actually Albert, crossrulz and I were refering to the file format that the scope uses for the screen capture.  Smaller file = shorter time to transfer to pc was the intent.

You've brought up something we didn't catch.  A vi or snippet would be much more useful.  

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 49
(11,054 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Ryan_G_EE

Here is the VI. You are right about the PNG vs BMP size...I had selected BMP because I knew it would drop into MS Word easily, but hadn't really played around with PNGs at all. However, the PNG drops right into Word, so that is definitely the way to go. I changed the VI accordingly.

As a side note, PNG seems to compress smaller, and output higher quality without compression artifacts than JPEGs. What is the difference, and why aren't more people using PNG instead of JPG? Does it work better for simple graphics than it does for photos?

Block Diagram.png

Message 14 of 49
(11,047 Views)

JPGs are optimized for photos.  PNGs are optimized for simple pictures.  Anything from the scope will work wonderfully with PNGs.  I use PNGs for almost everything I do, which is mostly screen captures.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 49
(11,037 Views)

PNG, much like GIF, won't show artifacts when simple drawings are saved in that format.

JPG is optimized for photos, where you've got a lot of gradients that can be drawn with color-A, color-B, and a pattern.

GIFs can be animooted, PNGs cannot.  PNGs can have an alpha channel, GIF doesn't support that.  Both do, however, support transparency. 

For most screenshots, PNG is my format of choice (and default for Mac, and now (finally) windows).  Simple graphics I choose GIF.  Photos are JPG.

Message 16 of 49
(11,030 Views)

Great comparison. Thanks for the info! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 49
(11,026 Views)

thanks for the vi and the jpg-png discussion.

I use both and especially png since the snippet was invented.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 49
(11,015 Views)

I have been looking for help on how to save a PNG from a scope through LAN and this topic is perfect!  Thank you.  Well, almost perfect.  I am using LabVIEW 2010 and I am unable to open the uploaded VI.  Could some please convert it so that I can use it?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 49
(10,806 Views)