Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning and getting the date on USV-Stick

Hello,

i want to measure volt with agilent 34972a and simultaneously save the data on a usb stick.

the problem i have is that when i start my Scan, every time i´m Scanning agilent creates a new folder with config and data. So if i scan for like 10 minutes and do about 1000 scans, i get 1000 folders.

But i want and need is one data-file for each measurement, not for each scan!

I think the problem is that i´m repeating one trigger within my while-loop and agilent thinks that i am starting a new scan. Yet i tried everything to change that but either i´m not able to see the reading via labview or i can´t get the files within one data-file.

I really don´t know what else to try ...

Btw i´m using Labview 2012 and i´m working with the Agilent 34972a

Here my programm:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,449 Views)

@Romchik wrote:

Hello,

i want to measure volt with agilent 34972a and simultaneously save the data on a usb stick.

the problem i have is that when i start my Scan, every time i´m Scanning agilent creates a new folder with config and data. So if i scan for like 10 minutes and do about 1000 scans, i get 1000 folders.

But i want and need is one data-file for each measurement, not for each scan!

I think the problem is that i´m repeating one trigger within my while-loop and agilent thinks that i am starting a new scan. Yet i tried everything to change that but either i´m not able to see the reading via labview or i can´t get the files within one data-file.

I really don´t know what else to try ...

Btw i´m using Labview 2012 and i´m working with the Agilent 34972a

Here my programm:

Do you understand what commands are being sent by the instrument driver VIs?

Do you understand what these commands do?

It does no good to just cobble VIs together and hope they work.

Make the effort to understand how the instrument works and what commands do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,445 Views)

Unfortunally, i just started using LabView a week ago but acually i thought i got at least a little bit of understanding. I do want to know what the commands do, yet i can´t find a proper Tutorial or Book.

I do understand that the reason i can´t plog it is because i use immediate trigger and i think the solution would be to change it to a permanent trigger which can be stopped. But when i do so, he won´t show me all the scans. But i just can´t find a way to make both work together. And if my way of thinking is wrong then please tell me how and why, because with answers like yours i´m getting no information at all.

I would try the VISA commands, but unfortunally i never programmed so i don´t know how to programm the agilent using visa....

I don´t have any programm experience but still need this to get done.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,438 Views)

@Romchik wrote:

Unfortunally, i just started using LabView a week ago but acually i thought i got at least a little bit of understanding. I do want to know what the commands do, yet i can´t find a proper Tutorial or Book.

I do understand that the reason i can´t plog it is because i use immediate trigger and i think the solution would be to change it to a permanent trigger which can be stopped. But when i do so, he won´t show me all the scans. But i just can´t find a way to make both work together. And if my way of thinking is wrong then please tell me how and why, because with answers like yours i´m getting no information at all.

I would try the VISA commands, but unfortunally i never programmed so i don´t know how to programm the agilent using visa....

I don´t have any programm experience but still need this to get done.

Download the programmer's manual for the instrument. Read the parts of interest.

After you understand how to operate the instrument, use the instrument's front panel to make the scans.

Everything you want to do with LabVIEW can be done from just running the instrument manually.

Learn how the instrument works. Then write a program to do it automatically.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,429 Views)
Where is your file write code that you say creates 1000 folders?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,423 Views)

I don´t have such file. Whenever i do a measurement and also add an usb stick to my agilent, it  automatically writes all the scans that were done on the usb stick. Normally he does it for each measurement, at least as long as you programm the agilent manuel.

And i think the reason is that my programm is made for doing 1 scan, but repeatedly, which result in always creating a new folder on the usb stick. But i don´t know how to programm that agilent has to start scan while reading all the data until i tell him to stop. I think that would be the solution, but i tried everything possible for the last two days and couldn´t make it work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,400 Views)
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the internal save options. I always used the LabVIEW functions to save. You might want to check with Agilent about the USB options or simply write to a local file.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,376 Views)

Unfortunally i can manually just choose between log data or do not log data, so i think the problem must lie within my VI.

I´m using the Agilent Driver within LabView, with is acually made for Scanning once. But i need a program which tells agilent to start scanning once while simultaneously reading the buffer to get all the data. I don´t really know how to describe my problem in english -.-

Well anyway, still thanks for your trying!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,371 Views)

Sorry for hijacking your post, I have almost the same problem. 

I want to log a minute interval scan for current, voltage, and temperature using Agilent 34972a. Using Benchlink datalogger 3 software, I made a configuration for the Agilent and save it to USB stick. I run the Agilent using the configuration and was able to measure the minute interval scan for current, voltage, and temperature. The data was supposed to be saved to a USB stick automatically so I left my setup for 4 days running the whole day. When I obtained the USB stick after 4 days, I observed that the last data saved was for 3 days only. However, the logger was still running and I still hear the ticking sound when data is saved every minute. My question is, why does the logger stop saving readings to the USB stick? How can I solve this problem if I want to run the logger for 1 week straight with minimal supervision?

Thank you very much for your help! 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,106 Views)

@ProjectSINAG wrote:

Sorry for hijacking your post, I have almost the same problem. 

I want to log a minute interval scan for current, voltage, and temperature using Agilent 34972a. Using Benchlink datalogger 3 software, I made a configuration for the Agilent and save it to USB stick. I run the Agilent using the configuration and was able to measure the minute interval scan for current, voltage, and temperature. The data was supposed to be saved to a USB stick automatically so I left my setup for 4 days running the whole day. When I obtained the USB stick after 4 days, I observed that the last data saved was for 3 days only. However, the logger was still running and I still hear the ticking sound when data is saved every minute. My question is, why does the logger stop saving readings to the USB stick? How can I solve this problem if I want to run the logger for 1 week straight with minimal supervision?

Thank you very much for your help! 

Since your question is about hardware and software that Agilent provides, you would get the best response on Agilent forums or contact their technical support to get answers.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,085 Views)